SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrmiddleton_gw

A question about Gardenias for Sir longriver

16 years ago

Sir,

I have been admiring your wisdom on the various forums for some time - although this is the first time I have had the pleasure of personally asking your opinion.

I am on the other side of the Bay from you - in the S.F. neighborhood of Sunnyside (next to City College, Monterrey exit). Despite the name of our neighborhood - it is one of those foggy S.F. microclimates - cool, misty and bright - with only an hour or two of clear sunlight a day (all Summer). I think we have only got to the 80's once this year. On the other hand, it never freezes - and rarely gets below 40 (usually 50's in Winter). Not as cold as the Sunset, nor as warm as the Mission (other S.F. neighborhoods).

Any suggestion as to what double form of Gardenia you can recommend for my microclimate?

I have had good luck with plants from Sloat's nursery across from the S.F. Zoo - plants from there have already acclimated to the fog (MUCH foggier there!) - and never have transplant shock when I bring them to my (slightly) warmer microclimate. They carry the Monrovia line - so all of Monrovia's Gardenias are easily acquired.

Everyone else - please feel free to offer your own words of wisdom.

Best wishes to all...

Comments (11)