SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scandi_gw

Identifying and root stimulation

scandi
18 years ago

How do I increase a cuttings root structure?

Last summer I brought back a tip cutting from Sweden, of a gesneria. She didn't tell me which gesneria it was, (or I missed it in Swedish!), but it had fuzzy/velvety leaves and blossoms. The leaves grew in pairs and I believe they were long and slender, and I think they had purple on the underside. The flower was orange red, and tubular in shape. I rooted it in water, but it rotted, and so I took the tip (the original cutting was normal sized and four inches) of two smaller leaves and put them in soil. The cutting took, but the two larger leaves died, leaving a tiny pair of new leaves which are continuing to grow, but so tiny I used a magnifying glass to see them. I started watering them with African violet fertilizer, and they are now a little larger, but still very small: the plant has four pairs of leaves, and still is only one third of an inch tall. Its pot is a shot glass. My question is based on the assumption that the plant is not growing at normal size because the root structure isn't able to support it. At one point I did replant it by putting the plant down into the soil- like one plants a tomatoe plant down further into the soil, puting the leggy stem down or the soil up on the stem. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments (2)