SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theconstantgardeners

Just transplanted 8 big azaleas: Root stimulator or not?

Hi all.

This is a follow-up to a post from last week about 8 large azaleas I planted (Athens, GA) in early fall last year that haven't been looking very good this summer. They were loosing lots of leaves (some just have leaves on the tips of branches now) and would look very sad and wilty almost every day even after being watered the day before. I did a bunch of reading and realized that they were probably getting too much sun and/or just getting too hot because I planted them on a slope facing Southwest. Plus they were in planted in a bed held up by a retaining wall I made of railroad ties (not ideal, I know). I think the wall was getting very hot and adding to the stress.

So I moved them the past two days to some cooler shadier spots and used good azalea miracle grow garden mix too. The past two days I've just watered them and they're doing pretty good, but I bought some fertilome root-stimulator at the nursury today and was wondering if I should or shouldn't use some. Would it burn them since they're already stressed? Any advice appreciated!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths