SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zevpoppy

Outdoor Large Container 'Garden' 4 child w/ seasons?

zevpoppy
14 years ago

Our family is relocating to South Florida this summer. We have a yard here in Georgia and the kids and I have fallen in love with the garden. Sadly, we are most likely going to be in an apartment at least for a while in Florida. I'm trying to put together a large container garden that will still allow the kids (and I!) to experience the joy of watching things grow and the seasons if at all possible.

The container would live outside most likely on a balcony with varied degrees of sun and shade depending on the time of day. I am also a fairly new gardner and don't want to take on anything too difficult. It;s hard when you only have one tiny container to represent a large garden--to see things die, I don't want it to be too frustrating for the kids so I'm looking for plants that are somewhat easy to grow.

So here's a summary:

1. Grow easily and well in a container

2. Various heights (one tall tree, a few plants that are 2-24 inches tall, some ground cover and some plants that will grow down and hang off the edges)

3. At least a few plants that will have seasonal changes. I would LOVE to have the focus of the little garden be a tree that will lose leaves in winter, bloom in spring and have lots of green leaves in fall and summer

4. Did I mention hearty? Like, something for someone with a dried up black thumb but a heart full of love for plants!

5. I plan on having at least one orchid ties with pantyhose to the little tree. LOVE this!

So, I'm turning to those far wiser than I to guide my children and I in the right direction! Do any of you expert growers have any sort of recipe I can follow?

We're not moving for a couple of months but I wanted to start ordering plants. The weather here in Ga is such now that I should be able to start it here. Similar to South Florida weather right now. So I thought I could go ahead and get it going but there is plenty of time to order the exact plants we need. Looking for a "here, get these..."

Thank so much! And the kids thank you as well. I can think of nothing more beautiful than giving them the gift of loving and respecting life and nature.

Happy Sprouting!

Zev

Comments (2)