SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Gardening Tip - Save on Potting Mix

As a long-time gardener, I surprise myself when something so obvious just now occurs to me. Here's my most recent light bulb moment.

About three weeks ago, as I was using my expensive potting mix, it suddenly occurred to me that I don't have to use the expensive stuff to pot up everything. When potting up large cuttings to be rooted, or something I don't care that much about, or a plant that will be planted out in the ground in a few weeks, I have started using gardening soil (rather than potting mix). It is soooo much cheaper. Lowes has Miracle Gro garden soil on sale for $2.50 a bag. It is a very heavy mix so I mix it about 50:50 with the Walmart purple bag of pine fines. Anyone considering this should realize that it is not sterile, it is heavy, and it is not fast-draining, so it has to be mixed with something to improve the drainage and regardless, it should NOT be used for potting up your expensive or cherished plants or plants that you plant to keep in containers. But, on the other hand, it has been perfect for rooting crape myrtle cuttings, hydrangea cuttings, firespike cuttings, justicia cuttings and a hundred other things that were headed to be planted in the ground anyway and weren't all that important if I lost them.

I used to use my expensive mix for everything! Now I have two tubs of mix: one is potting mix for important plants and plants that will stay in their containers; the other is garden soil/pine fines mix for cheap plants, random experiments (where I don't really care about the outcome), cuttings of which I have many and not important to keep sterile, for short-term parking of plants in pots, etc.

Thought this might help someone else save some money. :)

Carol in Jacksonville

Comments (10)