SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevholz

Fescue to Wildflower conversion

stevholz
14 years ago

This may not have been the right way to do it, but this is what I've done so far.

I have a 3/4 acre pasture of fescue I do nothing with. I let it grow for a couple years, and then mow it. I burned off some dead grass in Feb, and last weekend mowed the whole thing. I created a circle of about 50ft diameter and sprayed it with round-up. What I was thinking about doing in that circle was (within the next couple weeks) roto-tilling the whole thing, and start planting it with flowers for butterflies & hummingbirds. I have another garden I'm going to divide up and move seedlings from, so I'll have plenty of purple coneflower, monarda, dreaded yarrow, gaillardia, torch lilly, and I have some wildflower seed mixes, basically stuff like that. I'm not too concerned with it looking perfect or that beautiful the first couple years, but it'll be a good place to absorb all my seedlings that pop up in my older butterfly/hummer garden. Should I hit it with another round of roundup? Will it matter if I'm going to roto-till it anyway? Other ideas?

Thanks,

Steve (athens-area)

Comments (3)

Sponsored