SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenkin_gw

'Wildflowers in a Can/Box'

22 years ago

I am very new to gardening and I've seen a lot of disparaging remarks about the "wildflowers in a can/box." We are in a rental house with lots of gardening room and I wanted to get a wildflower effect (simple) the most inexpensive way possible. So, I have bought several different kinds of packs, boxes and cans of flowers. I have planted a few packs, have a couple of packs & cans unopened and am wondering if I should return the unopened ones and try something new or just go for it (what the heck, eh?). What do you think? Here's a breakdown of what I've put out and what I have left to put out.

Already put out (last Sunday (4/7/02):

1) Ed Hume Seeds - Hummingbird & Butterfly Flower Garden Mixture (seed pack) - includes Rose Mallow, Candytuft, Foxglove, Coneflower, Gayfeather, Asclepias, Coreopsis, Dianthus, Monarda, Phlox, Lavender, Crimson Clover, Gilia, Penstemon, Delphinum, Gaillardia, Salvia, Lupine, Bachelors Buttons, Columbine, Cleome, Gloriosa Daisy, Godetia, Scabiosa and Zinnia.

2) Ed Hume Seeds - Perennial Rock Garden Low Growing Flower Mixture (seed pack) - includes Alyssum, Arabis, Aubretia, Dianthus, English Daisy, Iberis, Livingstone Daisy, Lobelia, Phlox, Portulaca, Thyme, Campanula, Cerastium, Armeria, Saponaria and Dwarf Catchchfly.

3) Ed Hume Seeds - Perennial Flower Garden Mix (seed pack) - includes Lupine, Gloriosa and Shasta Daisies, Iceland Poppy, Hollyhock, Delphinium, Columbine, Sallflower, Coreopsis and Gaillardia.

Bought, but not put out yet:

1) Ed Hume Seeds - Children's Garden Cut Flower Mixture (seed pack) - includes Alyssum, Babysbreath, Bachelor Buttons, Balsam, Calendula, Candytuft, Clarkia, Cosmos, Dianthus, Godetia, Larkspur, Linaria, Marigold, Nemophila, Painted Daisy, Poppy, Stocks and Zinnia.

2) Ed Hume Seeds - Meadow Mixture Wildflower and Pasture Seeds (seed pack) - includes Yarrow, Bachelor Buttons, Columbine, Wallflower, Shasta Daisy, Clarkia, Chinese Houses, Coreopsis, Larkspur, Dianthus, California Poppy, Gaillardia, Godetia, Gypsophila, Dame's Rocket, Blue Flax, Red Flax, Spurred Snapdragon, Alyssum, Lupine, Gilia, Candytuft, Nemophila, Evening Primrose, Iceland Poppy, Shirley Poppy, Foxglove, Rudbeckia, Dill, Catchfly, Rye Grain, Crimson Clover and Sheep Fescue.

3) Better Homes and Gardens Wildflower Seed Mixture for Atracting Hummingbirds (Can - over 75,000 seeds) - includes 30% Flower Seed Mixture (No individual component exceeds 5% of total mixture). Pheasant's Eye, Canterbury Bell, Siberian Wallflower, Wallflower, Clarkia, Tickseed, Cosmos, Larkspur, Sweet William, Farewell-To-Spring, Mallow, Baby Snapdragon, Scarlet Flax, Maltese Cross, Malope, Lemon Mint, Flander's Poppy, Phlox, Pink Soapwort, Silene, Zinnia. NOTE: 70% Inert Matter, Germination: 70%.

==============================

I also have a 30' x 3' section & 15' x 3' section that already has some trees and bushes in it that I was going to use the following mixture in:

1) Plantation Products - Petunia Mixed Colors (Pelleted) - 4.40% Petnunia hybrida (Pelleted) and 95.6% Inert Matter.

2) Plantation Products - Alyssum Carpet of Snow Border Mix - .88% Lobularia maritima and 99.12% Inert Matter

==================================

Ok, that's it - any suggestions, critiques, or just go ahead and try's are more than welcome. As I said before, only renting at this time and wanted to do something inexpensive, but pretty flowers. Am I asking too much to think that the above might work?

Thank you very much!!!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets