SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manature

My Big Boy Is Back!

manature
16 years ago

And I don't mean Mark!

As I was starting to water my OGR bed, out shot a lovely, shiny black racer at LEAST three feet long! Woooohooooo!

He crossed the brick path, went into the fence bed, and slid along the fence to the back corner of the yard. I hope he stays in MY yard and doesn't travel over to the neighbor's. They are not nearly as welcoming as I am!

About 3 weeks ago, I saw a smallish one, about 18" long. sunning itself in my plumbago bushes. Before that, I had seen none for several months, so I was worried they had met with an unhappy end under a big stick somewhere. Now I know they are well and lookin' fine!

For any of you newbies who don't know what this very beneficial snake looks like, I've attached a picture below. Please treat them with respect, and they will reward you by keeping disease bearing rodents and other pests under control.

Yay! Life is good when you have black racers in your garden!!

Marcia

Notice the long, slender body, the charcoal to black color, and the prominent white chin. This snake often holds it head up out of the grass like a periscope, and the white chin is very noticeable.

Comments (23)