SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flyingfish2

'dam'aging wind

flyingfish2
15 years ago

Man , I can not believe this gusty hot SW wind! It blew 2 of my sweet 100 cherries over because I did not have the stakes secure enough, one big beef that I had not got a basket make for yet, bent it down with a 90 degree kink (put a basket on it and hope it will recover, broke two limbs out of 3 or 4 that were on a brandywine that was in my series buckets for SWC.

Make some pics of my 5 gal SWC with unbelievable size plants in them, maybe get energetic and post a few later.

Hope the wind is not beating your plants to death.

bernie

Comments (11)

• watermelon7
    15 years ago

Don't throw them out! Tomatoes root unusually well in water! Just throw them in a vase, and watch them go! While your at it, make some more cuttings and try to root those.

• countrynest
    15 years ago

Here in n.central Fl. Is very gusty also. So far no damage
    Felix

• flyingfish2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

local weather man just said we had gust to 43, yuk!

Watermelon , thanks, I am very familiar with indeterminates and cutting them back. I had frost damage on my brandywines in a raised box and cut them back. Now have over 60 tomatoes in that one box. Some are over 12 oz, covered it with bird screen, gave up on plastic bags, easier to cover

Tom cut some big beefs back to a stalk (12 inch) and they were really growing last time he reported on them.

{{gwi:22891}}

• tomncath
    15 years ago

Tom cut some big beefs back to a stalk (12 inch) and they were really growing last time he reported on them.

Actually, it was the Beefmaster, they are going like gangbusters. Unfortunately the Big Beef and Jetsetter that I cut back from the fall season both succumbed to TYLCV almost immediately, couldn't handle the stress I guess. I've got to say that in my neck of the woods the Beefmaster has clearly been the most resilient plant with great tasting tomatoes that I've come across. I'll shoot some pictures this weekend and post them....

Tom

• flyingfish2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry about quoting the wrong tomato type Tom, too many beef's for an old man to keep straight :>).

Like an older person said back in the hills of NC when I was a kid. It were raining yesterday and still are raining today. Only it isn't rain here I'm afraid, it's that stinking wind, but today it's cold instead of hot!

bernie

• tclynx
    15 years ago

Really gusty here. I'm just hoping that what doesn't kill em will make em stronger!

• tomncath
    15 years ago

I'm just hoping that what doesn't kill em will make em stronger!

I'm sure you're talking about the plants, let hope the cold kills a few more of the nasty bugs :-)

• natives_and_veggies
    15 years ago

let hope the cold kills a few more of the nasty bugs :-)

or the mosquitoes!

I love it here, really I do, and I'm willing to live with whatever this tropical world has to offer. But gosh it's frustrating to have a day so hot and awful that the mosquitoes start getting bold in the shade in the heat of the day, then have a night when I have to get up in the middle of the night to find a blanket.

Now I've got dogs trying to sleep on couches to get warm, because we put away their dog rugs last weekend, while I'm wondering if we'll be able to make it through the end of the month without turning the a/c on. It's enough to make a family (of dogs and cats and crotchedy old people) cranky.

Of course, I'm hoping for a better harvest of broccoli this week because of this cold snap. :)

• sumala
    15 years ago

My taters and onions got hit hard. Good thing they were both almost ready to harvest.

• flyingfish2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Native and veggies", I lay in bed till almost 6 this morning because it was supposed to be really cold outside, but you got up to computer very early this AM.

I have been in S Fl since 59 and this is unusual swing in temp in 36 hours. I think several things contributed. The jet stream was down to about flight level 18 (18000 feet) and was blasting right out of canada. Also the fact that we are in such a drought condition probably contributed. If the middle of the state was at it's normal wet tropical condition the surface moisture moderates the lower air temps, but we are a tropical desert right now.

• KaraLynn
    15 years ago

I had to lug over 2 dozen orchids back inside last night to make sure that they wouldn't get damaged by this cold spell. This morning when I left the house at 7 o'clock there was frost on my windshield. And tonight is supposed to get evern colder! I probably should haul the staghorn ferns back in too but it's such a pain gettting them down out of the tree! I'm really hoping that my potato plants don't get damaged, or the amaryllis blooms or the agapanthus blooms or the newly sprouting gingers...