Houzz Logo Print
abnorm

Garden Party Recipes

abnorm
13 years ago

"I went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends"

WOW....great party......Here's the place to post your recipe:

GERMAN POTATO SALAD

It's a family recipe....it changes from time to time.....it's always potatos, onions, bacon, vinegar, seasoning and a bit of sugar.......

Grandma was stingy with the bacon...but left-all-the-fat....

Mom insisted on sliced and peeled potatos....with all-the-fat......I made a lighter version with lots-O-color.....(that was a big bowl....I tested the amount with the raw potatos)

GardenParty German Potato Salad

8 lbs small red potatos, whole, skin ON

2 medium yellow onions, cut to 3/8" pieces

2 handfuls of green/red scallions, sliced

12 oz thick sliced bacon, scissors cut into 1/4" pieces

12 oz bottle Red wine vinegar

3 tablespoons sugar

Nature Seasoning (or any Salt/Pepper/Blend)

I boiled the potatos in a large pot....two batches.....Cool under water and chunk......removing only large skins.....Season with seasoning

I knew I was reheating this Sat. morning so the potatos were boiled "firm" to allow for re-heating

Next the Bacon pieces were fried to a deep crisp in the same stock pot....remove and reserve a few spoons of fat along w/crisp bacon bits....(toss the remaining bacon fat)

Add the big onion to the oil-ly stock pot.....in a moment add the smaller scallions.....soon return the bacon and fat to the pot....add the sugar

Add the vinegar......TASTE !....It should be tangy like a good pickle.....if it's TOO Pucker add a bit more sugar

Stir in the potatos......I couldn't get all in the pot so I just put some in the bottom of the bowl......Finally add the contents of the pot to the bowl....stir and refrigerate overnite

Saturday morning 350 degrees for 50 minutes.....ummmmgood !

Comments (15)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES