SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerzeegirl_gw

Need advice on what to do next

jerzeegirl
16 years ago

We are getting ready to re-do out backyard which had become threadbare due to a change in light conditions. Our neighbors planted some large ficus along the south fence, our live oaks are just getting bigger and our backyard does get some sun, but not enough for turfgrass. We have reclaimed water which apparently is salty. The good news is the backyard is not too large.

We removed all the plants that were in the yard and moved them to pots or other locations. The yard is bare except for some sketchy grass and lots of oak leaves.

At first we thought we might plants grass next to the drivestrips and just keep changing it when it dies, but that seems like a lot of work for nothing. So we might do flagstones along the sides of the drivestrips and fill in with mondo grass as someone here suggested.

We figure the next thing we should do is rent a rototiller to turn the soil.

My question: Is it time to hire someone to take it from here? I don't know what to do next or who to hire. I don't know what plants would be appropriate. Do we go to a garden center? I already paid a landscape designer to make some suggestions but the price to do the work was more than I wanted to pay and there was too much rock in the design and not enough plants.

How do I find a company who can look at my yard and make suggestions and then do the planting? Maybe you guys have some recommendations. I am in S. Tampa.

Comments (3)