SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
khopew

Another painting over nicotine question -what to try next.

khopew
12 years ago

Ok guys, I have learned tons here about painting, and its been awesome! But I think I need some advice on what to do next in my bathroom.

Here's the story: We bought a house in November that smokers lived in (I know, big mistake, but we got a deal we couldn't walk away from just over nicotine) The house is about ten years old, was probably smoked in the whole time and the master bath seems to be where all the chain smoking went on. Before we bought it the previous owners had new carpet put down and the whole house painted from top to bottom, BUT they didn't clean or primer the walls first.

So we are cleaning all the walls with TSP (but not getting much off because of the layer of new paint) rinsing them, then priming it with kilz oil based and then repainting. This seems to be working everywhere but the master bath (we haven't done the guest bath yet) I noticed today after taking a shower that I could see nicotine dripping through the new paint and primer, how disheartening!

I guess my next step is to clean the walls again with TSP, and try to BIN shellac, (which we almost bought the last time instead of kilz, but it's $40 a can and we have about 2000 sq feet to paint so we went with 5 gallon buckets of kilz oil, thinking that and the tsp cleaning would be enough) Then we'll repaint again. Also, we have upgraded the fan in that bath, so that's not adding to the issue.

Is there anything else I should do or try? I don't want to paint that bath more then twice!

Thanks so much!

Comments (7)