SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karalynn_gw

bad place for a bird nest

KaraLynn
16 years ago

Sunday, while I was out in the backyard I happened to notice a pair of tufted titmouse carrying nesting materials in their beeks and landing on the gutters. Curious about where they were building their nest I stopped what I was doing to watch them. To my dismay one of them hopped down into the gutter and went back into the area that is overlapped by the back porch roof. I guess the birds thought it was a perfect spot for their nest but all I could imagine was the babies drowning during the next hard rain since water tends to pool in that end of the gutter.

I waited for the birds to leave to gather more materials and then got my ladder out to remove the nest before they could get back. The nest was back about a foot from the edge of the porch roof and there was a gutter support right in front of the opening so I scrapped my arm up pretty good before I was done. I dropped all the nesting material on the ground so that the birds could reuse it. It's amazing what kind of stuff the nest was built from. There were chicken feathers, dried grass, horse hair, and nearly an entire snake skin from a yellow rat snake.

I really hope that by me messing with the nest the birds will find a new place to raise their chicks, like maybe the nice acorn shaped birdhouse I hung in my oak tree! lol

Here's the snake skin I found in the nest.

Comments (11)