SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manature

Your Favorite Weed

manature
16 years ago

We talk so much on here about weeds we hate and want to dig out, stomp on, spray, burn, mutilate, spindle, and otherwise send to perdition, that I thought it would be a nice change to talk about weeds we like. Okay, some of them are more apt to be called wildflowers, but others might be weeds by most standards. Which ones do you have a soft spot for? I was at Evelyn's and she was showing me some beautiful pink oxalis, neatly groomed and happily blooming in one of her beds. It was gorgeous! I guess it's only a weed if you don't want it there.

And in that vein of thinking, my personal favorite has got to be spiderwort. I just LOVE the wonderful shade of blue (the camera doesn't begin to capture it), the carefree way it grows, and the clusters of purple-ish buds on the end of each stem. I even love the way it bleeds BLUE on my fingers when I brush up against it. Bees love it, butterflies seem drawn to it, too. I can always find room in my garden for spiderwort.

Here is a clump growing by my blue bench. You can see that I have been cleaning out this bed and putting down fresh mulch. The tibouchina next to the spiderwort replaced my 12 foot tall sunflower tree, as the tithonia was just too big for this space. I think I can keep the slower growing tibouchina within bounds.

And today, happily, I spotted this honeybee on the spiderwort. I've seen so few of them in the last year that I was really happy when this guy showed up.

Yep, spiderwort is one I can't live without!

Your turn, folks. Tell me which weeds you never dig out.

Marcia

Comments (37)