SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

could use some advice and suggestions...

User
13 years ago

I haven't posted in a while on here. I have missed it. I have been gone so much this year and the " garden" has responded with what you would have been able to predict...dead plants and weeds.

Due to the drought that has continued for several years and months of record high temps almost nothing has survived. I also garden under a huge tree and the leaves and adventitious roots have smothered or sucked out all the nutrition that was in the top soil that I added. The top soil also was very poor quality but I didn't know that until too late.

OK I am done whining. The only plants that have survived w/o extra watering are a couple grasses and the sedum. I have spent the past several days , since I got back from 6 weeks away, cutting back and digging out and raking up old leaves from last year. There is pretty much a clean slate.

My questions are :

1) How do you garden under a huge tree that drops leaves ?

2) How do you remove the leaves, as they will smother the plants plus they are unsightly , w/o tearing up the plants ? ( I have been combing them out with my fingers...somewhat tedious)

3) What do you do about the adventitious roots that are matted to the extent that a mattock doesn't even get through them?

I am thinking that I will only plant sedums at present . Of course the light is a problem. The tree is huge but there is very hot direct sun for a while every day in places. The sedum that are here now are leggy but I am going to pinch them next year and I think that will help.

Pictures of real situations in your garden and how you deal in a practical way with all the problems associated with the tree/root/leaf situation would really help.

I have googled shade gardening and believe it or not there is nothing out there at all that answers the real problems of dry / hot shade and the roots and leaves. I have spent hours and hours and am really frustrated. I have wasted literally $$$$$ on this garden in the past 8 years and really have virtually nothing to show for it.

I guess it is a testament to my endurance that I am even considering trying again. I really do want a beautiful peaceful area to enjoy and work in. Not a dry barren wasteland. Some of you will remember the early days of this back garden. I won't show it as it stands now since there is almost nothing to show anymore.

If this sounds too defeatist I am sorry...I really really do want to succeed. Thanks for letting me "vent" and I am so appreciative of all of you . I do enjoy looking at and reading about your challenges and how you have overcome your own limiting factors in your gardens. If you think you can help me I sure would be grateful. c

Comments (21)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES