SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Firing a contractor, could use some advice on payment

My long term girlfriend's dad passed away last year, so we've been helping her mom a lot. She had a lot of problems in her house (the floor was literally falling in), so we're helping her to completely remodel.

She had a friend / former neighbor that is self employed and specializes in drywall and paint, but he told her that he could do the job. He's not licensed or bonded, just a new small business owner trying to get started. Against my advice, she hired him for the job.

Now we're not happy AT ALL with the progress, and agree that we need to let him go and find someone else. But we're not sure how much to pay him for what he's already done! This is where I could use your help.

The House

Her house was built in the 50s. The exterior is cinder blocks, which we covered with vinyl siding. The interior has 1x4s attached to the cinder blocks, then paneling nailed to the 1x4s. The 1x4s are sitting on the cinder blocks flat, so there's a 1" gap between the cinder blocks and the paneling (with no insulation).

It's roughly 1,000 sq.ft, maybe a little less.

Here's a rough sketch of the layout. I tried to do it to scale but it's all from memory, so it may not be exact.

The top left is the kitchen / dining room. Then you go down to the living room, where there's a half wall with an unused chimney (not load bearing, I checked). Go through that to an unused den. To the left is a bathroom, and the other two rooms are bedrooms.

The Job

The plan is to:

1. Take up all linoleum floor and remove paneling throughout the entire house.

2. Replace subfloor as needed.

3. Divide the bathroom to make one full bath and a second half bath (plumbing will be done by someone else, so it's not part of the quote). Both bathrooms will be tiled.

4. Add a closet to the bottom-right bedroom.

5. Add 2 walls in the den to make a 3rd bedroom.

6. Remove the half wall with the chimney.

7. Move the door between the kitchen and living room.

8. Install insulation board on all walls.

9. Scrape popcorn ceiling from entire house and paint ceilings.

10. Install and finish drywall on all walls, including paint.

11. Install new doors on the bedrooms and bathrooms. We're leaving the new closet open, and the door between kitchen and living room will just be a large opening.

12. Install new cabinets and laminate countertop in kitchen.

13. Install vinyl floating floor planks throughout house (the kind that snaps together).

Here's the planned layout when it's done:

I had also suggested removing the entire wall between the kitchen and living room to have an open floor plan. This would require an LVL joist for support where the wall was that would need to be drywalled and hidden, but it's not part of the quote... really just for your reference.

The Quote

The quote given for the job was $10,000 plus materials. She planned to buy all materials at the local Lowes so that she could get 24 months with no interest.

Plumbing was to be done by someone else, so that's not part of the quote. There's a little bit of electrical work: replacing outlets, replacing a light with a ceiling fan, that kind of thing; no new wiring or anything like that.

The Progress

They started 6-7 weeks ago. In that time they have:

1. Removed the paneling and linoleum floor from the top-right bedroom.

2. Finished the bottom-right bedroom, including the build of the closet, replacing two 4x8 sheets of subfloor, and removing popcorn ceiling. The only thing left is the installation of the door (which still shows framing at this point) and floor (which is still subfloor).

3. Built the 2 walls for the new 3rd bedroom, including replacing one 4x8 sheet of subfloor and removing the popcorn ceiling. It also still needs the door and floor.

The plan is to do the doors and floor throughout the house last, of course.

The Problems

They've made some pretty big mistakes, in my opinion:

1. They painted the new bedroom with her $60 can of paint without using primer or sealer, then went back over it with mud to fix flaws and told her she would need another can of paint. Why didn't they use the 5G bucket of primer / sealer? Drywall and paint is supposed to be their specialty, I can't understand at all why they didn't think they would need to use primer on new drywall.

2. They painted the bottom-right bedroom, but I can see 3 areas of drywall that need to be patched. So they think it's done, but I feel like they need to fix those and repaint.

3. Instead of installing the telephone jack in the wall, they drilled a hole in the floor and ran the wire up, then lay the jack in the floor. What the... ?? With the insulation board in place, I don't think it's possible to install it now without cutting a strip out of the drywall, then refinishing the whole wall.

3. This is the biggest problem, I think: the doorway in to the bottom-right bedroom has a 1" strip on the right, and then the doorway to the new bedroom has a 1" strip to the left. There is absolutely no way that a door frame can be installed there, so I think they're going to have to move the door to the new bedroom :-O

It doesn't help that they usually work 3-4 hours /day (with multiple smoke breaks), and only 3-4 days /week. They came in one day last week, mudded the bedroom for about an hour, took a smoke break, then left instead of moving on to the next room.

Money

She's already given them about $4,000. I had originally told her to give them a 50% deposit (which is how I work and I think is pretty standard), but instead they decided to take a weekly paycheck of $600.

I made it very clear from the beginning, though, that this is to be paid by the project, so we will absolutely not pay more than the quote.

My Question

Based on what I consider to be pretty shoddy work, because of the mistakes that I think I'll have to fix myself, and what I consider to be extremely slow work, I think we should let them go and hire a licensed contractor instead. I know it will cost more, but they'll bring in a team of people and get it done a LOT faster and better.

Do you all think I'm being fair to want to fire them?

If so, how much do you think the work already done is worth?

Comments (24)