SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

A 'paper or plastic' kinda question on birdbath drippers/misters

16 years ago

I have two bird baths. I would like to rig the big shallow one out with a mister/sprayer, and the smaller deeper one with a dripper. I've read these are supposed to really attract birds to the garden, and I like the sound of water too.

Most drippers and misters I see on the market connect directly to a hose. The most efficient of them use 1 pint an hour or something. If I went this route I would put them both on timers and plant mint or some other water lovers around the baths. I figure they'd use a couple of gallons a day, tops, probably less.

The other route is to use submersible pumps that recirculate water. It would be considerably more complicated to install. I think I would need to put a hidden basin beneath the baths (covered with pebbles) to catch overflow and hide the pumps--or create some kind of birdbath-fountain (I would have to come up with a design). It would definitely save water, but pumps use electricity and the water still evaporates when it is drpped or sprayed. The advantage to the pump is that it would create more flow and fountain sounds, rather than just a drip.

So which would be better? Anybody know where I can find more info about the options?

Thanks

Bill

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths