SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Thrips report, bud counts and tagging. No pictures.

newyorkrita
13 years ago

So as the new blooms are opening it is obvious that the thrips raved daylilies are recovering. I am getting some very clear and some totally clear blooms on ones that were a distaster before the insecticide spraying. I know I will have to treat again but the clear and clearer blooms please me.

I have noticed a very, very strange thing about the budcounts so far this year. The budcounts on the warm western and deep southern beauties are accross the board down from prior years. I find this very odd as we have had an early and warm spring and I figgured they would think they were home and make more buds than usual. Not so.

The budcounts on the Emmeriches that I did not move around last year and also on some other more northerners like Norris and Owen are way, way up this year. Branching is fabulous too. Only if I didn't move them.

On the Emmeriches I moved around, no improvement in branching or budcounts. This seems to prove to me that daylilies really do need to settle in. As if people have not been telling me that and telling me to quit moving them around LOL!

On some Korths that have had a chance to clump up, a big, big difference in some more branching but much higher budcounts. I guess these need to make clumps before they do their real showing off.

On my Westbournes, they never show much in the first two years. Now that I have had only afew for longer, those are again showing branching and budcounts I have never seen on them before.

All this branching and budcounts is very good.

So most people tag daylilies because they are hybridizing. I am marking them and writing notes to myself for ones that will or might go. I can't go by splotchy blooms too much widespread splotches this year, nor can I cut the evergreens for low budcounts this year. So I am looking for too common look alikes in colors or patterns that I are not my favorites. Also those nothing really wrong but just don't like it blooms. I am watching a sucession of blooms and noting what I think on those questionable ones.

Comments (12)