SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brittiebird

Blah, I have chili thrips in my garden

Last year in my Houston Rose Society newsletter (August), it reported that chili thrips had been sighted around town. I was so happy to not have them! Yay for me! *happy dance* But sigh, they are here now.

I was wondering, do chili thrips do their damage for a bit and then move on like regular thrips?

I'm thinking that they've already been in my garden for a few weeks, but I just didn't snap to what the problem was (or to be honest, I just wasn't concerned). Boy they sure are making a mess now though! The stunty, wrinkled leaves etc. is affecting almost all of my new growth. There do seem to be a few bushes that haven't been bothered though.

Easy Does It looks pretty gnarly right now, and yesterday I took a good look at a blackened rose bud to find the little buggers all over it. They seem a bit smaller though than the thrips I usually find. Not only was the bud dark, but the entire six inch piece of new growth it came from was also darker, with seriously small, deformed leaves. That's when I sort of woke up and went around looking at everything else and seeing the same.

I never spray for bugs, but should I? Should I cut off the icky areas? Or will it all pass soon enough when they (hopefully!) move on?

Comments (16)