SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
duchesse_nalabama

no spray report for a garden in north alabama

duchesse_nalabama
15 years ago

hi, all,

This is half way through my rose year, first year no spray.

I only sprayed once last year, but it was very dry last year and I sometimes felt I lived in Dallas! This year has been cooler and more humid; much more typical of north Alabama.

I've been going through my rose list and evaluating them, so thought I'd share my list and results. I am not sure who would be interested in this, but here it is, anyway, Gean

Teas

These have been among the best in terms of bs resistance. Some of these were just planted in the spring, but are doing well. Except for Duchesse de Brabant and Madame Joseph Schwartz, all are in full sun, unless noted.

Etoile de lyon - spotless.

Marie Van Houtte - spotless

Mrs. Dudley Cross - spotless.

Mons Tillier - spotless

William R. Smith - spotless

Maman Cochet - spotless

Clementina Carbonieri - spotless

Mrs. BR Cant - is under pine trees, is blooming, and is growing w/little apparent problems. Gets 5-6 hours of sun

Mrs. Antoine Mari - spotless

General Gallieni - spotless

Duchesse de Brabant - I put her right outside my kitchen window so I could see her, but she doesn't get enough sun there, only about 4-5 hours. She is blooming, growing but has that gangly look they get when they don't have enough sun. Same with Madame Joseph Schwartz. Moved into pots.

Chinas -

Spice - she had a beautiful spring flush, rested and is flushing again now, but the blooms are small - heat, I guess

No bs to speak of, but some problems with thrips this year.

Ducher - flushed earliest of all the roses and then dropped a lot of leaves. Is blooming now, but the blooms are small and hasn't completely re-leafed. I don't know if I like this rose or not.

Cramoisi S - doesn't really have bs now, but the blooms are sporadic and small. Dropped the leaves it carried over the winter and hasn't fully re-leafed. Odd looking, but I really like the fragrance and blooms when they're larger.

Mutabalis - I am trying to train this as a tree, so it's a little odd looking, tall skinny legs with leaves and blossoms on the top. Constantly dropping and growing leaves.

Buck

I like these roses! Prairie Harvest, April Moon, Quietness, Silver Shadows, Hawkeye Belle, Winter Sunset. Little to none in the bs department, all bloom pretty well. WS's fade more than I'd like, but the bush form is nice and it is a steady bloomer. The fragrance of Silver Shadows is wonderful.

Quietness seems the most robust of them all, but they're all young bushes. WS is the oldest, at going on three.

Misc.

Seafoam - this rose is out in the boonies under some pines but in quite a bit of sun, and I don't pay tht much attention to it, except it blooms well and I hack it back when it gets out of bounds. I deadhead sporadically.

Baby Blanket - I have two but I only bought one. The other rooted itself from some cuttings I accidentally left in the dirt after pruning. It's now as big as the one I bought. No bs on either, one is in fairly heavy shade under some trees and I'm not sure how well it will do over time. The other is in a pot in the sun.

Floribunda

Julia Child - blooms very well, almost no bs.

HOt cocoa - some bs on the lower leaves, but it is a steady bloomer and grower and it is doing just fine no spray. I love the color of the blooms.

Valentine - I almost sp'd this rose last spring after it flushed and then got a lot of mildew.

I hadn't pruned it at all, so it was also sloppy looking. After it flushed heavily this spring, I cut it completely back. It's now about a foot high and covered with blooms again. This is one that needs to be hard pruned, I think. It is spotless now and covered with buds or blooms.

Pink Gruss - No bs right now, but it has dropped some leaves and then re-leafed. It has beautiful blossoms. I do like the delicacy of the rose; I hope it makes it over the next couple of years. It is not a robust rose.

Centennaire de lourdes - no bs, but I'm not sure I like it.

Iceberg - this rose does pretty well for me; little to no bs so far. One is in too much shade, though and needs to be moved. The one in sun is doing better.

Climbers

Ghislaine de feligonde - this rose is wonderful so far for me. Beautiful spring flush growing up a pine tree; I don't know if it will bloom a second time but the first flush was wonderful. No bs at all.

Veilchenblau - I was curious to see if I liked this rose and while I enjoyed the blooms, I didn't love it, so after it bloomed I cut it completely down and moved it to the back where it will probably die from lack of water or sun. No bs at all.

New Dawn - I like the blossoms but wish I'd planted Awakening instead. I may get rid of it, not sure. No bs at all.

Zepherine Drouhin - beautiful spring flush and then completely defoliated. I cut it back some and it is putting on lots of new foliage and even has a new blossom.

I put in a Ballerina next to it along the picket fence.

Misc.

Mike's Old Fashioned Pink - this rose has a small amount of bs but I love the clusters of pink blooms. It is a strong grower and a good bloomer. It seems to shake off the bs w/o any problems.

Maggie - this is a baby, but it has bloomed several times and has not had any bs problems so far. It is in scorching sun.

Hermosa - bourbon/china? - I cut this one down to 6 inches after it defoliated and had ugly blooms. It has re-leafed and has small buds on it. It's on the death watch list. It looks much better now, though.

HOme run - this rose is blooming in a lot of shade. NO bs. Amazing.

Blush and pink ko - I have these growing under trees with tree root competition and shade. They're doing fine. I like them.

Chrysler imperial - I have a couple of these that I moved to my tomato patch. They're getting sun and water and are doing pretty well. I want to move it somewhere closer where I can see it more often.

Frau Karl Druschki - new and has some mildew. Not sure if I like this one or not. Needs more sun, I think. No bs to speak of.

Puerto Rico - it grows fine with no bs but the blooms have been small and not at all like last year's. It may be the heat we've had. Or my merciless pruning. I don't have this one figured out or maybe it's just not going to work for me, I don't know.

Polyanthas

Perle d'Or - I have a group of three of these that is starting to look like a hedge now, growing together. I have to keep it deadheaded but other than that, it is a very nice rose; almost no bs, blooms a lot.

Marie Daly - bs from too much shade, I think; moved to a sunnier spot.

Marie Pavie - these need to be moved to more sun as they're having bs problems, and I think it's because of my shade problems.

Shovel pruned -

Eureka - Patricia43 warned me I couldn't grow this no spray. She was right.

Well, if you made it this far, I am amazed! Thanks for reading. More importntly, how is your garden doing at the half way point?

Comments (22)