SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Starting Seeds

Crazy_Gardener
17 years ago

Anyone started any seeds indoors yet?

Here's what I've sowed so far...

Paeonia lactiflora 'Honey Gold' Peony (thanks Laurie!)

Passiflora caerulea

I'll probably start my Daylilies after the holidays.

Sharon

Comments (150)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Today I sowed;

-Impatiens sultani 'Accent Cranberry'
    -Mixed Gazanias (planted by my 6 year old, so I hope they'll come up quickly!)

Gillian, when do we start the Phlox 'Twinkle Mix'?

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Not yet, I will have to check my schedule at home but I think April sometime. Annual phlox a pretty quick sprouter and grower. My Double Purple Datura is up now too, thanks Laurie! And actual Delphiniums... the first sprout was a maple seed false alarm >:0(

• Related Discussions

Starting late. Missed spring. Can I still start seeds & bulbs?

Q

Comments (5)
    Since this is the Vegetable Gardening Forum I'll stick to talking about the tomato seeds. Check out the Bulbs and the many flower forums for more info on them. ;) The tomatoes can be started from seed 6-8 weeks before your plant out date - which usually 1-2 weeks after your last frost date. In your zone I am guessing that is the end of May? That would make it too late to start tomatoes from seed for the best results. But if you have some seeds for some early varieties you could try them and still get fruit from them before your first fall frost. Otherwise I think I'd plan to go with tomato transplants this year and save the seeds for next year. Good luck with your garden. Dave
    ...See More

calculating time to start seeds, if you start them outside

Q

Comments (23)
    Thanks, Need2SeeGreen! Really heavy rains every week or so. Some cold but no snow where I am (some in higher areas; I'm only 2200'). The moles are digging in my lawn, and the hairy bittercress (cute little weed which would like to take over the world) is flowering madly. I need to prune the apple trees. The violets are putting out tentative leaves; probably the pink ones are flowering -- they're evergreen, and nothing much stops them. The spring camellia flowered Thursday -- and froze Friday night; this cycle will continue for a while. It looks like this year the scillas/squill will bloom before the Jeanne d'Arc crocuses. I will start some of the tomato seeds this week (indoors).
    ...See More

Starting seeds indoors, shade/part shade seeds flowers?

Q

Comments (7)
    In my experience, Impatiens walleriana (the impatiens commonly found in garden centers) will grow better for you in pots and your conditions than Impatiens balsamina (aka garden balsam) will. ETA: and the former (impatiens) will have a much longer bloom period!!! Balsam takes a while to bloom, then it sets cool seed pods (fun for kids to pop!) and it dies, whereas impatiens will bloom from the start until killed by frost!
    ...See More

started seeds too early

Q

Comments (3)
    In zone 6? The radishes should be fine to start hardening off- I got some that have been outside for several days now and surviving fine. Your lettuce might be OK depending on what kind it is, some are heartier than others, you can work on getting those hardened off. Your beans, way too early. I use the 4 tier mini greenhouses. Got one set up for my onion sets and "scrap bucket"- a pot where I regrow stuff, currently cabbage and pok choi. I have insulation in the bottom of the greenhouse, and I'll wrap the whole thing in frost cloth if I need to to get through a freeze night. But I wouldn't trust it to keep my more tender seedlings safe overnight though temp dips below 45 or so. It can really depend a lot on where you are growing too. For me, I have a sheltered southern niche outside my kitchen door that I can get away with using a mini greenhouse for the cold tolerant stuff and just having my seedlings out during the day when it's nice.... across my yard where the gardens are it's more open and still way too breezy and chill for me to do it there.
    ...See More
  • CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

All I have room for yet inside is some Impatiens which I just did up. They are 'Tempo Mix' - pinks/purples.

My livingroom window is looking like a total jungle right now. Ahhhh... the joys of spring time!

Ang

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Ok, will have to wait til April on the phlox, thanks.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

I still only have the one purple datura up and none of the yellow ones. And there's one weedy thing coming up in the purple daturas - same thing i had in the Schultz mix last year. >:(

• northspruce
    17 years ago

OMG Marcia I wish I could give you some of my purple daturas... I have 17 already, I don't know what I'm going to do with them all! :O

Laurie, I looked up the Phlox and last year I planted it March 23 and it went outside in mid-May, just starting to bloom. You might want to wait until April if you're short of space though. Also, in case you don't already know, leave your Salvia until later too, it grows fast and is one of the more tender annuals.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Gillian I'll probably have to wait until April then for the phlox. DH did get another light set up for me last night, but I think after I'm done transplanting all the daylilies into individual containers, there won't be a whole lot of room left. And yes, on the Salvia package it said to start them 4-6 weeks before last frost, so they'll get done around the end of April.

It's hard to beleive that it'll soon be time to get the cannas, elephant ears, callas, etc. potted up. They're calling for above 0 temps for the next week.....maybe spring'll show up after all. :0)

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Laurie, there is a special dance for those there phlox. If ya don't do it right....hmmmmm ya get wellllllll.......don't think ya really want to know. :O LOL!

Okay, whats the dance for Discaria? I tried the seed last year....not even one sprout. I am trying again this year and hope to actually get some plants. So are there any special "steps"?

I'll be starting some bulbs here soon as well.

Sierra..who is already over run with seedlings. :-)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Sierra, if the phlox dance is any more complicated than the 2 step, then I could be in for trouble!LOL

17 years ago

Today, one more purple datura has broken ground. Nada on the yellow ones. Sierra, is there a dance for them? They're called "Ballerina Yellow", so does that mean i have to ballet dance? OMG - watch out - - - 8-O CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• verenap
    17 years ago

LOL...Nice to see there are others here as graceful as me!! ;o)

I think I'll just stick to the Happy dance. I have two tiny little snapdragon seedlings showing their heads today!! So very excited, they are the first of my indoor sowing to appear. Looks like my outdoor "green thumb" has over ridden my indoor "black thumb of death". lol. My outdoor plants are great, but house plants only come here to die...anyone else have a similar affliction?

Verena (*Gosh* Maybe it's because the indoor ones can see me dancing... ;o)

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

First of all it is Diascia that I was asking about. Where did that above spelling come from....Ok I have an excuse, we have been home sick this week with bad bug, cold and flu. Real nasty! Hopefully it will leave soon, so I can get back to looking after these seedlings properly. Been basically just throwing water at them this week and turning the lights on. Nothing has keeled over yet, at least.

LOL Marcia, try belly dancing.....Goooooo vveeeerrryyyyy slow... LOL! I also do the belly dance for impatiens....it worked very well...eeekkksss!!!!!!

Laurie, I can't seem to do that one...I keep falling on my face! OUCH!!!! Maybe that is why it looks like I have Rudolph's nose. :O If I have seed left from last year, I'll try again, but if not...well...
    I did get some sprouts finally last year....took forever. My plants never did look as nice as Gil's. Maybe she has better dancing shoes than I do? Hmmmmmmm Mine are bright pink with orange elephants painted in bubbles on them. That could be the problem. :O

I guess I had better go see what sprouted today. I got a bit behind this week with not being able to start seed, oh well, I'll just do double next week when I feel better.

Sierra

• verenap
    17 years ago

Oh! I have four amarantus 'Velvet Curtains' showing their purple/pink heads this morning. :-)

Verena

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Sierra, that's what you did wrong, my shoes have the purple elephants. ;0) With orange elephants you will get sprouts but not much. Almost everything is up for me now... just waiting on a few things. Not planting anything else now until April. I don't want to run out of room!

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lot's of excitment in this thread today. :)

I just finished sowing my Gazania ÂDaybreak Pink Shades seeds. Stokes sure gave extra seeds in this package, I paid for 15 seeds but there was like 25 in there!

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Hey, does anyone know if Gazania seeds will germinate if they're a couple of years old? My DS planted some and if he doesn't see some green a few days, he's going to be disappointed. Maybe I should sneak some fresh seed in there and he'd never know?

Laurie

17 years ago

Laurie, that's what i did for the little grandguy's daisies last year. My own collected seed never sprouted so i went and bought a pack of Shasta Daisies. He never knew the difference. :)

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

I've had some seeds that haven't germinated at all this year.
    Geranium- Maverick Star
    Osteospermum- Passion Mix
    Dianthus-arenarius -Also winter sowed.
    Passion Flower- One germinated out of the bunch

I've had them on my heat mat for a while. But I'm thinking about taking them out to put my tomatoes in soon.

Has any one planted these? And what has been the secret to your success?

As far as the Osteospermum, I planted Sky and Ice and they are germinating quite well. I didn't do anything really different.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Thanks, I'll have to pick up a package tonight and throw a few in there just in case.....

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Shelley, Where did you buy the seed?

Geranium Maverick Star  I bought my Black Velvet seeds from Veseys 2 years ago and I followed their directions. Cover seed lightly with vermiculite and then provide constant warmth; 21-24°C and moisture. Bottom heat is essential (except for 'Black Velvet Series', which should be germinated cool, without bottom heat, at 16°C ). Cover with a black plastic bag or provide total darkness until germination occurs, in 5-15 days.
    For the past couple of years IÂve been taking cuttings from the mother plant. Much easier than starting from seed and cheaper ;)
    Dianthus arenarius - I had great success wintersowing this one.
    Passion Flower - this is a fussy one, last year I had no success, this year I have 3 Passiflora caerulea seedlings, youÂre lucky to get one to germinate! Bottom heat and a dome with high humidity is good.

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

I usually order from a few different places. I got my Geranium from T&T, Passion Osteospernum from Dominion, Passion flower (Passiflora caerulea)was McKenzie.
    I planted up some more Sky and Ice Osteospernum yesterday.(From Veseys) If they germinated well I might as well try some more.
    I have used bottom heat with a dome for all of these. I planted them around the middle of February.
    I had great luck germinating my Lisanthus. But oh my are those plants still tiny.
    Shelley

• northspruce
    17 years ago

My no-show so far is Tuberous Begonias (surprise). On Feb. 20 I planted Corydalis sempervirens (is there a trick Sharon?) and Ligularia from Laurie, haven't given up on these yet, I guess it hasn't been all that long.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Gillian on Tom Clothier's site he says that ligularia germination is slow, and to also make sure that the seeds were fat and filled out, so after looking at mine, I noticed that there are some seeds that look fuller than others. So maybe you'll just have to plant them all and hope that a couple of the largest ones do germinate.

And yippee, I've got sprouts of Melica ciliata grass today!!

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Doh! I went and checked the flats this morning and what do you know... I have sprouts in the Corydalis, also Liatrus spicata and Campanula takesimiana which were being slow. Guess it takes humiliating the seeds online to make some types sprout. We should let Tom Clother know. LOL.
    Common germination aids... Freezing, bottom heat, light exposure, sanding, GA, humiliation...

Laurie, I read that too; there are definitely some fatter and some skinnier ones. I planted all the ones you gave me. Will keep my fingers crossed.

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Shelley

I started Osteo passion mix a couple of years ago. It was very slow to start. Only 5 of the 9 seeds germinated. The plants themselves were very slow growing....I wasn't that impressed with them.

I sowed Sky & Ice, they are much faster to germinate and every seed germinated. So far, I am much happier with these.
    --------------

Doin' the happy dance this morning, 3 thats right THREE Diascia sprouts. Tee Hee. BTW I am dancin' in my bare feet :O Didn't want to scare off other new seedlings, with my elephant shoes. ;-))

Sierra

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

I may need to do alot of dancing for some of my plants! LOL

I totally forgot about starting up the Amaranthus 'Velvet Curtains' (thanks for the reminder Verena!) I am so late with everything this year.... *** runs off to get the seeds and do more sowing ***

Ang
    who plans on lots more WS'ing today too! Yeah for this spring weather!

• stanly
    17 years ago

I've started white Datura seeds about a month ago and still nothing. I've got some in a heated seed starting tray, some seeds in a paper towel and magarine container in a nice warm cupboard, I have and some in paper towel and margarine container on top of a warm fluorescent light. I know it takes three to four weeks but it very frustrating. They are all fresh seeds from last years pods

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Shelley, I would write emails to those companies that your having trouble with and tell them the germination you're getting.

Corydalis sempervirens (is there a trick Sharon?)
    Yes, fresh seed and wintersow ;)

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Boy, the happy dance really does work!!!! This afternoon, there is a sprout in the blue poppy bowl. YES!!!!! Savona, I'll let you know if I get more... I did a belly dance around the bowl, just to ward off the evil spirits LOL!!!.....I also sprayed it with chamomile tea. Keeping fingers crossed now.

Sierra

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Thanks Sharon but the Corydalis has sprouted inside now. The seed did say 2005 so I was wondering... but there are at least 3 sprouts already.

Stanly, some Daturas are very fast and some aren't. Sounds like you've got all the bases covered anyway, as long as your seed was viable.

• verenap
    17 years ago

Wow the last two days of sun have done wonders!! In my usual style, I have a nice green *carpet* forming with my snapdragons (wow...did I really put THAT many seeds in each one?? *blush*). The tomatoes are starting to show up, as well as several more amarantus. No sign of the petunias, lobelia or datura yet though. Anyone know how long datura seed is viable for? The ones I planted were probably several years old from my mom, am wondering if I should throw some fresh seed in as well? (Or am I just getting impatient?? ;o)

Verena

• stanly
    17 years ago

Well, I went to Walmart at noon today and they just got a bunch of bulb and perrennials in packages marked $4.28 each so I got 7 canna lilies, 3 different hostas and 2 daylilies. Spring fever is here so now I will be transplanting tonite.
    Northspruce, the seed should have been viable because I took them off of last years plants and they were in the greenhouse all winter. I even went and bought a pkg of seeds from a nursery last week end but for $6.00 I got 6 seeds so they are very dear.
    Last year I grew some of the datura that have small purple flowers on them and they germinated fast, in just about a week or so but I didn't think they were as nice so didn't grow them for this year.
    Am thinking of starting "foxies" this weekend as well as Nicotiana "Sylvestris"

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

Gillian, I just got some Astilbe seeds. How did you start yours? You seem to have great luck this year.

Shelley

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Shelley, the Astilbes really need humidity. Surface sow them under lights and use some kind of dome or plastic to keep the moisture in. I don't keep track of temperature and don't have heat mats, just as warm as the lights make it. They germinated in eight days both times. Watch for damp-off (ahem, both times... the first sowing damped off all but two).

Verena and Stanly, I am growing Single and Double Purple Daturas (thanks Laurie!). The singles were up in one week; the doubles took 19 days. Some are still coming up over a month later. I would just be patient, I'm sure yours will come. I just barely covered the seeds with soil and did nothing else special.

Verena, my notes from last year indicate that Lobelia germinated very slowly and irregularly... I had one or two at nine days, but nothing after that for several days so I moved them to high humidity and the germination increased.

I am learning this year that so many small or surface-sown seeds sprout much better in high humidity. I only have two domes but I rotate new seeds in as the old ones sprout and it's working well. I have to get down there soon and build a new set of shelves for the rest of my lights.

17 years ago

Ah, a yellow datura has finally come up! I don't remember them taking this long last year, but maybe they did. I'd have to get up and check my records and i just got comfortable. :)

March Break is here! Time to sow, sow, sow!!

• cmmwiebe
    17 years ago

Hi! My first time in on this thread. I see many of you starting Datura and am wondering about your concerns with poison from the plant and seeds. I am especially concerned with the old plant material from last year as we have 2 new pups running about this spring!
    I planted Datura fleur de lis last year and had great plants and do have some seed if anyone is interested. SASE will do it. Not checked for germination yet. It is a subdued white to blue purple throated flower on a 1 meter plant. Send me an email for the address. Not sure of the quantity but enough for 10 or 12 people at 20 - 25 seeds. Would take columbine (special selection) clematis in trade.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

17 years ago

I was in Walmart today and there are no bulbs there yet, but they did have their seed geraniums out. I really don't want any more geraniums so i didn't buy any. Kind of late in my day for doing any planting, so i'll wait until tomorrow. Got some plastic water jugs from a friend in Dryden - 5 or 6 of them - bonus! :)

• verenap
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'll (try to ;o) be patient for that Datura. Checked this morning and my Lobelia have started to sprout...so far a whole bunch in one hole, and none anywhere else...of course I put almost two full packs in, so I should have *plenty* LOL...went a little crazy...think the spring fever hit a little hard this year...two packs of seed might not sound that bad, but I did it all in a *blush* 9-hole cell pack, guess I'll be doing some serious transplanting hey??

Oh, and my first blue wave petunia showed up today. :-)

Verena

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

Verena, are you using a dome to keep the humidity up? My lobelia sprouted on a heat mat under a dome in less than 24 hrs. Petunias take about 2 days for me this way too.
    Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welcome to the forum cmmwiebe, I see your from Sask!

Knock on wood but IÂve never had a fiasco with my dog eating any kind of plant. I guess we trained her well when she was a puppy. She's 8 years old and she knows not to go in Mama's garden ;)

There are many poisonous plants out there so be careful, play it safe and don't grow any till your dogs are out of the puppy stage.

Enjoy the forum!
    Sharon

• verenap
    17 years ago

Shelly, I am using a dome, but I don't have a heat mat. I've been keeping them in the sun room during the day (it's up in the +22 range when the sun is shining) and then back into the living room (with the fireplace) for the night, so they're staying fairly consistently warm. Still only the one petunia, but I'm not too worried now that I have a little of everything up (First two datura sprouted over night). DH is supposed to build my lights for me today, so gradually I'm getting all set up.

Thanks for the reminder on the datura Sharon, I'll have to make sure I plant it well out of Brayden's way, since he'll be terrorizing the yard this year.

Verena

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

The one thing with datura is that the whole plant stinks. I really can't see any animal even wanting to try chewing on one of these after getting a whiff of it, but I guess you never know.......

And yes, welcome to the forum cmmwiebe! Hope you'll like it here. :)

Laurie

• cmmwiebe
    17 years ago

Thanks Sharon and Laurie! So do you know if some (Daturas) are worse than others or are they pretty much all the same as far as the danger from the toxic substance.

Clayton

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

On one of my gardening email groups someone posted the link to this guy in Russia. Apparently he collects seeds from the wild and sells it. I thought Sharon might be really interested as you are a real seed collector and like trying everything once. Some neat things on the site. I wonder if they would grow here. I don't think all of Russia is a zone 3 or colder, does anyone know what zones they have? I can't imagine any zone 9 or warmer.

Syreeta

Here is a link that might be useful: The Berkutenko Seed List 2007

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Today I transplanted the Wave Petunias into 4" containers.

Wow, thanks for that link Syreeta, I will have to check out what he has to sell.

So do you know if some (Daturas) are worse than others or are they pretty much all the same as far as the danger from the toxic substance. I'm not sure Clayton, and I ain't going to try to eat any of the species to see if there's a difference. ;) LOL

Here is a link that may answer your question...
    Btw, your Daturas are called Datura stramonium var. tatula 'La Fleur Lilac' which will produce tons of seeds each year.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Datura stramonium

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

There are a few more sprouts in the blue poppy bowl today. Yay!!!!

Started a bunch more seed. Still have a few to set up tomorrow and I think, I am all caught up for seeds todate. Then just to get the bulbs started.

Sierra

• cmmwiebe
    17 years ago

Re the Berkutenko Seed List
    This Dr. Alexandra and she has a very good list. Sent a request by mail about 3 weeks ago and have not had a reply. Email did not work!
    Tried the fax but all I am getting f or sure is a bill. But I saw a post somewhere that someone was trading seeds from plants grown from seed by her.

I am personally trying to collect plant material grown from seeds of the good edible honeysuckle. They are easily grown from fresh seed. So if you are traveling in Japan or Russia or you are a gardener there with good fruiting plants, please send me a few seeds!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• timlin2ca
    17 years ago

wow you all have a great headstart on things. I have mostly seeded things I want to grow on all summer in the greenhouse (3 tomato plants every 2 weeks for the last 6 weeks....those 9 plants provide us with tomatoes from Early June to late October.
    I started sage, basils (4 types), parsly (2 types), thyme and will continue to do that every 2 weeks for the next month.

I have the seedlings I want to use in my containers...Alyssum, pansies, marigolds, lobilia, dahlia, tuber begonias that sort of thing up and doing well.

I started some perennials/bi-annuals....sweet Wm, painted daisies, Dianthus (pinks)

Everything is still small but as I begin to transplant it expands quickly and I have to bring them all in overnight everynight still until the nights warm us a bit more. It's a bit of work right now but so worth it.

I have to reread some of the things you all have started. It's interesting.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

My little guy's gazanias were up yesterday and he's pretty darned happy about it too. I'm not sure if the old seed germinated or if it was the new seed. Anyway, my older DS wanted to get in on the action too, so he sowed some Thunbergia vine and some Gazania 'Kontiki Stars and Stripes'.

I also planted some 'Peaches and Cream' snapdragons today(thanks Brenda!).

I picked up some Swizzle Zinnia seed awhile back too. What does everyone do with zinnias, indoor or w/s?

Gillian, how many hosta babies do you have now?

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Laurie, I have a lot of hosta babies, probably 25-30. They are growing very very slowly... are yours? It has taken almost a month for some of them to actually escape the seed coat, and none has more than one leaf yet. But they seem fine otherwise.