SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happy_fl_gardener

Growing Mushrooms from plugs in logs...

Leu Gardens plant sale is an annual event that I look forward to each year. It's great to see the gardens as well as the thousands of plants and trinkets for sale. I wish that I took my camera like Silvia did. Silvia, the planted clock on the hill certainly was an eye catcher! It was nice that you posted that photo.

There was a vendor that I hadn't noticed in the past. He was selling wooden plugs inoculated with mushroom spawn. There were 100 plugs to a bag. He had shiitake, several varieties of oyster, and medicinal mushroom plugs available. I couldn't resist trying to grow something new. lol.

I went home with some phoenix oyster and shiitake plugs. Put hubby to work last weekend. Had him cut a young oak tree from our woods, then cut it into 4 foot lengths. He drilled about 50 small holes per log, then hammered them in. They are laying on the ground in a shady spot under the oaks.

Well, I would like to know if anyone else is growing their own mushrooms? How well is it working out? What advice do you have?

Christine

Comments (6)