SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_northrose

Winterizing / Winterising / Protecting Roses in the Far North

I have a few younger weaker roses (quadra & rugelda) planted in the ground that look like they may require winter protection. I'm not too concerned about my other more "hardy" roses, although I would like to do what I can to extend their growing season.

November was warm(felt like +10 or more yesterday), and all my roses were full of green leaves before today's sudden 10-15 cm snow and -20C temperatures. Being in the Calgary region, I don't expect much less.

It is amazing to see how the techniques on winterizing roses differ from region. I would love to hear your thoughts on this in colder regions, or in chinook regions.

There appear to be a two options for roses in the ground:
1. cover with snow
2. cover with peat moss / dry mulch / leaves (often combined with an open pot / styrofoam box / cardboard box / leaf bag / burlap / tarp) after the rose has gone dormant and the ground is frozen

What is the the purpose of protection then?

Is to keep the rose frozen? Or to keep the rose less frozen?

Last year, snow that was piled high here, eventually melted down into a hard ice-block mass, and ground underneath remained frozen for much longer than areas without snow. I assume in the snow technique, airy light snow is ideal.

The reading I've done suggests mulches that become wet increase the risk of canker, if so - does snow too? In the mulching techniques, dry mulch and adequate airflow is emphasized.

I do believe that in both cases, a common goal is to protect canes from the cold harsh & dry winds. There is also emphasis on planting the rose 6" deep and watering well in the fall.

Curious, what works best for you?

Thank you for any thoughts!

Comments (18)