SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jnemeth636

Biggest Challenge, where to site plants

jnemeth636
16 years ago

I'm just curious, I've figured out my biggest challenge in the garden and wonder if it's a big problem for anyone else and how you deal with it. I have a great image in my head of plans, layouts and what I want to plant. I spend hours educating myself about the plants. But then figuring out how to match the plants to my plans is so hard, relative to sun exposure, wind exposure, water needs, etc. The hardest is areas that are in heavy shade and then heavy sun, varying daily and also varying seasonally. I mean specifically areas along the house or along fencing on the south property line that are in full shade all winter when the sun is low and full sun all summer when the sun is high. Plants that like sun won't thrive or bloom and plants that do well in shade burn up from the few hours they get sun. Sorry this is so long but I'm in a major garden re-do mode and I'm perplexed. Any advice or commiseration would be greatly appreciated. Also any advice on plants that do well in sporadic sun. Thanks!

Comments (16)