SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucygreenthumb

Which plant for tough site?

lucygreenthumb
17 years ago

Hi all,

I'm probably being totally unrealistic here but I'm in desperate need of your collective wisdom and suggestions to let me know if there's anything that will work with how I'm envisioning this space.

I have a tiny zone 4 yard and would love to put a small to medium sized conifer at the northwest corner of my house. I would like something that can provide a little bit of a windbreak, and afternoon shade - but this is also near a window that will look out on the pond I plan on building in the back corner of the yard. So I'd prefer something that I could 'see through' - maybe with a branching pattern like some of that irregularly shaped pines so that wouldn't look unnatural to prune out the occassional branch that was in the way. Which is why I've eliminated a techny arborvitae - even though that's about the size I want.

This would be a foundation planting - something about 10ft wide, 15ft high would be ideal - I'm willing to prune the plant but I don't want roots to mess up my foundation/basement walls. It is a raised bed, so the drainage is good, the soil is slightly alkaline.

Right now this site gets afternoon sun from noon until 5pm - the hottest part of the day in our humid Iowa summers. However the light will be changing as the river birch at the southwest corner of the house grows and provides dappled shade. My house is white so there will be some reflected light - which makes the sideyard even hotter in summer, but may help keep the shade from being too dark later???

I like weeping junipers like Tolleson's Blue, (which is about the size I want and would look great by the future pond) and all of the irregularly shaped pines - I'm going a for a vaguely japanese garden look. Pine nemotodes kill alot of windbreak row scotch pines in local rural areas, so even though I love scotch pines ... probably not a good idea even if there was a type that would grow fast and stay smaller!

I know fastigate varieties might do well in a space this size, but I'm not fond of their appearance.

And the last complication, I'm pushing 50 so I'm less interested in slow-growers that won't reach the size I want for another 20 - 30 years! I have Bloom's "Gardening with Conifers", but I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Thanks is advance, but is there any hope at all????

Lucy

Comments (13)