SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

In a major gardening slump, have you been there?

gottagarden
15 years ago

I have always loved gardening, been "obsessed" by it. But for more than the last month, I just have no interest. Haven't done a thing other than a quick tidy-up for the garden club and then look at it out my window. Why am I so lazy? The weeds are setting seed and the projects I wanted to complete are unstarted. I've even stopped visiting nurseries and the catalogs are not looked at.

My lack of interest is almost spooky, we're now having prime gardening weather. I'm concerned - is this a permanent thing? Am I just moving on to other hobbies?

Have you been there? How did you snap out of it?

Thanks for your ideas

Comments (35)

• DYH
    15 years ago

I think we all have to step back and take a break from whatever hobbies that we have. I go through it, too. Then, something will spark my interest again.

I just got the first of my flower seed orders today, so I'm excited!

I was getting in a slump about blogging...like...what's the point? Then, I realized that with over 8,000 readers since January, that someone out there is enjoying...so, I revved it up and moved lots of content from other sources that I had bookmarked myself (news on gardening, magazines, videos, other blogs) to make it more interesting for ME to read each day...and hopefully more interesting for gardeners to have a central portal for all that stuff!

Hang in there...enjoy what you've got. Your gorgeous garden will wait for you.

Cameron

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

I don't think it's a major concern. You are such an amazing gardener the juices will soon start flowing again. I hit this kind of slump every August and have done so for many years. Being an avid plant worshipper doesn't help, this time of year I look around at everything that I didn't get done, what didn't work, the overgrowth that needs a good shearing back, the weeds that didn't get pulled etc. etc. etc. This time of year I keep everything watered but the garden has to fend for itself.

Then comes the time where I know I can go in, clean up, cut back, mulch and what gets done stays done till spring. I think there is a time in every gardeners life, mine seems to be August when no matter how much you love your garden you need a break from it.
    Actually doing something totally different really works for me, we use to do a lot of salmon fishing the months of July and August sometimes it's just being away for a few days. The garden is very forgiving, once you've recharged your battery you'll be raring to go again.

Being a mom is one of the greatest joys on earth but it's a full time job in itself and you just might be feeling a wee bit tired. My daughter works full time, kids grown up and out on their own now but she does treat herself to a day at the spa every so often, it does wonders for her. My christmas present from her this year was a visit to a day spa (my first) for a pedicure and leg massage, OMG I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

You might be finding other things you're interested in, go for it, your garden will always be there to welcome you back with open arms.
    First and for most take some time out, give yourself a little pampering, you deserve it.

Annette

• Related Discussions

What have you been up to in the gardens?

Q

Comments (17)
    I've been doing a lot of general cleanup and getting ready some new areas for next year. We finally got a fence across the front with some gates so now we can keep the dogs in the yard during the day while we're at work. And of course a fence is an opportunity to plant, right? This one is red brick(matches the house) along the bottom 20" and 4' of wrought iron on the top with brick pillars 18' apart. I hung out some Christmas decorations yesterday before I went to work, and today I have a sore throat and earache. So my boss is letting me take Saturday off, isn't he sweet? We had a large old native pecan tree struck by lightning about a month ago and not sure if it will live or die. It's so hard to tell if it's dead or just dormant, but it's smack in the middle of the front yard only about 50' from the house. But it's inside the fence so will be a part of the new area I will plant next Spring. I want to put lavender along the driveway. I have four large lavender plants out there already and they've done so well I thought I should just continue with that. I'll be shovel pruning about 8 roses this year out of the rose garden. Some have just not performed well, others I find I'm just not crazy about because of their lack of scent. Anyway, I thought I might wait till the Spring Plant Swap here in Fort Worth to take them out and pot them up, because rather than just waste them, I'm sure someone would love to take them home. They're all good, healthy plants, just not quite what I want out there. The back acre is really our problem child. I planted a bunch of wildflower seeds out there and I have my fingers crossed they'll come up. The instructions from Wildseed Farms recommended killing off all existing plants, raking the area free of all plant material and broadcasting the seed on the bare earth. Then water three times a day till seedlings emerge. Huh! Who has time to water three times a day? I just broadcase the seeds on the raked area that still had native plants growing in it. I just couldn't bear to kill off all the native flora. I guess I'll see if I wasted my seeds come Spring. The girls are all coming home for Christmas this year, so I'm gonna do some decking out in the yard next week. After they leave DH and I are going to Hawaii for a week vacation. THEN, it'll be time for some serious Spring planning. I'm just kind of milling about smartly in the yard for now waiting, waiting, waiting for the warm weather to come back. Everyone in the family is coming to my house for Christmas dinner this year so I'm thinking I should probably plan to prepare mass quantities of consumables for them all. I hope it's a warm Christmas day so I can take my mom out for a "yard tour" again. It's been a long time since she has been able to come out here, she's 81 and can't drive this far anymore. Well, I should probably write some of these things in my garden log instead of blabbing all day on the internet. But hey, you asked! Cheryl
    ...See More

Have committed major gardening Faux Pas

Q

Comments (5)
    You will be ok. Potatoes only produce fruit above the seed potato, though so keep piling on the mulch or soil. Hay is perfect. Mel builds square-foot-sized boxes to help make deep soil above the bed. Since you have large beds full of potatoes, you might consider making a larger bed-above the bed thingy. See link below . Here is a link that might be useful: Mel's potato page
    ...See More

Since I have Been Gone, What Have You Been Doing?

Q

Comments (8)
    jannie hope you're getting better..it took me several trips going an alternate route before i had the courage to drive where i got rear ended seveal months ago... sue, when i worked for ma bell (in san diego) that was a common complaints..here, it's squirrels that do the most damage...you't think with all tech they could get a wire that didn't taste good! glad you're back... not much going on in mi..weds was b squish day. the rest of this week has been getting dh's laundry all done early. actaully he'll be closer to you next week. they're having a mini elevator convention at purdue u for 3 days. he and the head mechanic are attending...i probably could have gone but would much rather stay home with the cats than sit in a hotel room, lol...
    ...See More

Northern CA garden slowly coming from out of a serious slump

Q

Comments (3)
    Lawn looks great! You will have a lot of family fun on that lush green grass. Three feet borders are going to be restrictive as most shrubs with any height also get wide. I'm in Sacto too. My shrub borders do fine with a soaking every 2-3 weeks during the summer (once everything is established.) I've got those old time black soaker hoses and then run the water very slowly for a few hours. With our restricted watering days, each hose gets its turn every 2-3 weeks! Select your favorite 3-5 small deciduous trees, some examples: Adirondack crabapple, Vanessa Parrotia. Do not plant those stinky flowering pears. Fall is best planting time for trees. Incorporate your neighbors shrubs by planting your trees in the blank spaces where you can't see theirs or where you need to block the view of a building. Then create a low maintenance calm green boarder with dwarf pittosporam, agapanthus, nandina firepower. You'll have your own private green haven back there.
    ...See More
  • bloominganne
    15 years ago

I get slumped in August too - until I start thinking about what I can do better next year. Sometimes all I need is someone to visit my garden that hasn't seen it before and they say a couple of nice things and I feel better again.

We all need a change of scenery from time to time so maybe that's it. Try not to worry and just do other things.

If I make a list of things I must get done inside the house ... that gets me outside in a hurry and I'm buzzed again :-)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

Usually it is just temporary. In about two weeks when some new things begin to flower and some old things that were cut back perk up, the slump may vanish.

Just don't destroy anything valuable or irreplaceable until this either passes or becomes a permanent notion.

Children recently started school, did they?

Nell

• Vikki1747
    15 years ago

Brenda,
    I think we all go through the "enough already" period about this time every year. I, for one, am a bit tired of being dirty and sweaty. The mosquitos want to eat you alive and the heat can be so oppressive. Sometimes I feel like a slave to the garden...self imposed pressure to keep everything just so. I think that can make one rebell. I'm sure with two small children you can be easily coaxed into doing other things besides gardening when, or if, you feel overburdened.

If you want a little boost just post some new pictures of your marvelous garden and sit back as we all ohhhh and ahhh and drool over the beauty you have created.

Hang tight, I'm sure your attitude will change soon.
    Vikki

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

I know one thing for sure. Your garden will wait for you. I was sick for almost the all the gardening months one year. My garden grew happily without me. Sure it was full of weeds but by the next spring I started just like any other year. Don't worry if you're slumping, come spring.........:)

Libby

• Redthistle
    15 years ago

In 2007, my area had one of the wettest years on record, and I had all the time in the world to garden without having to water...and I could have cared less. The weeds took over, and it was all I could do just to keep up with lawn mowing. I didn't do any gardening for all of 2007.

This year, the gardening gene kicked in again, and I spent about six weeks pulling weeds, fertilizing, mulching, and adding new plants to the front bed. Next, I spent three weeks mulching the back bed. I started two piles of compost and I scoured the Internet and local nurseries for plants that will work in my less-than-ideal gardening conditions.

Think of your lack of interest as a "gardening sabbatical." My feeling is that the gardening urge will hit you again...

"To everything there is a season." Metaphorically, you're in a winter mood. Spring will come again.

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys, it sounds like several of you also have "august syndrome". I used to get tired of the work sometimes, but still have the drive. Lately I just feel a lack of interest.

Cameron, your blog is fabulous, I do enjoy stopping in now and then and checking out your links. It's really appreciated what you do.

bloominganne - If I make a list of things I must get done inside the house ... that gets me outside in a hurry Hahahaha - the housework gets even less attention, but that's completely normal.

libby - I ALWAYS am raring to go in the spring. 6 months of winter will do that to you . . . .

redthistle - "gardening sabbatical", I like the sounds of that

The garden actually looks great right now, bursting with blooms. The weather has been wonderful, slightly cool with no mosquitoes. We've had a very rainy summer so everything is very lush and I haven't had to do anything. The ground is so soft weeds are so easy to pull, but . . . they're still there.

Nell, the kids don't start school for another week, and then my 'baby' starts kindergarten. I tell myself I'll catch up then because I'll have so much time. Although I do have the time now, just not the interest.

Lately I've been taking several mini-vacations - camping trips, lake trips, etc., so I've been lurking on the forums when I get a chance, and not posting much. Sorry!

thanks for your encouragement.

• georich5
    15 years ago

I hear you!!! My coming along redbed got away from me. I'm trying to catch up but I got out of the habit and drive to trek down to it with all my gear and weed. I now have a lovely red bench for the redbed. I sit on it and look at the weeds for way too long before I start in.
    My garden club signed me up for the garden tour next July. I figure if I start now I might be ready...but probably not!!! See what happens when you leave the room.
    Our DGD starts k'garden this Wed. My daughter doesn't know how she's going to put that little one on a bus and send her off. DH and I are losing our precious time with both girls Wed. nights and all day Thurs. Sniff.
    Our veggies are now coming in like crazy. It's hard for me to get them going right now. I'm dragging but I can't let them spoil.

I'm hoping since all our focus this summer has been on the chicks that my gardening spark will come back.

Oh well, Mother Nature will be back next year.

georgeanne

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

I read this before anyone had responded, and wasn't sure what to say....then again, I have a new garden. lol.

Now, in reading all of the responses, and filtering them through, well: here is my thought - we are first of all, very critical of ourselves, personally. Not as a group - we have lots of squidge room for others!!!

Ok, I am not a Mom, or a GM, just the mother of several alley cats. Those of you who are Moms, the younger ones, are very critical of yourselves. Give up on perfection - focus on those babies. As all have said, gardens survive!! Some of us force them to do it - survival of the fittest.

Annette said it best - your zest will come back. Being a Mom is job 1. Also, I think you are just south of me, so feeling the cool evenings and mornings, feeling very frustrated about what is not done, what has not bloomed/ripened......

Indian Summer is coming - the perfect rebirth time!!!

Cheers, Nancy.

• timbu
    15 years ago

Interesting - very rainy here in NE Europe too, all July and August. I've noticed that kind of "mirrored weather" in a couple years now, thanks to this forum.
    I'm trying to think of bulbs to plant - difficult, because everything looks so full now. I know it won't be so in spring, but...

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I just took a look at your album! Anyone who gardens like you do, will bounce back in full swing. Enjoy this little break....then when the fever hits you again lookout.

I always go through a slump when our hot and dry August hits. This is what I call my lawn mower gardening month. I just raise the blade and hit the veggie garden with the mower. Just did that and will turn the sprinkler on the strawberry bed today.....of course, I mowed two cute little watermelons into bits....didn't think they had set anything.

Sometimes, I just do one thing each day...like weed one bed, or water one bed. Might take an hour or two and, voila, in a week I am caught up again.

Sometimes just pulling one weed gets me started again.

You hang in there and enjoy this week before the little ones start school and let the garden take second.

• fammsimm
    15 years ago

I'm there with you! This has been one of the worst gardening summers for me. Terrible, unrelenting heat and drought.

Last week brought a bit of relief as we had some rain. I had some vacation time so I used it to shovel prune several plants and cut back others. Just getting rid of things that looked so miserable seemed to lift my spirits. I realized that part of my disinterest had to do with looking at a wilted garden. I guess I basically gave up on my summer garden and turned my attention towards fall and winter gardening. AND...my interest has been revived! Also, I think the remaining flowers look perkier now that their "sick" neighbors have been removed.

Perhaps there is something in your garden that is high maintenance or stresses you out. Are you feeling overwhelmed? I would suggest just yanking it out of there. It worked for me!

There are so many stresses in life that are beyond our control, it makes sense to rid ourselves of stresses that are within our control. There is also nothing wrong with taking a break from gardening, or reducing what you have. Or even doing without. It's all about finding the perfect balance and being happy.

Marilyn

• lemecdutex
    15 years ago

If you can get yourself to do it, take time to just SIT in the garden, don't pull any weeds, just look at it, find a place you really like, and sit and enjoy it. I find that helps me get out of slumps. Also, sitting on a shady bench and reading a nice book helps.

--Ron

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    15 years ago

I think the summer blues hit us all around this time of year.
    I never totally loose interest in the garden, but am simply wrapped up in other hobbies and interests. And most times nothing can be planted in the heat of summer. Right now the garden is looking great though. We had some much needed rain and everything is happy. I pull a few jumbo weeds, but thankfully the perennials shade out most of the weeds through out summer, so I have an excuse not to do much. ;-)

But, after a long winter with LOTS of snow, I get excited for spring and gardening. When the snow finally starts to melt and I can see and smell the earth below it, and see the crocus starting to peek out, I am excited again! I scour the internet for new plants and eagerly count down to our official planting date.

Right now its a little depressing thinking that the garden will be over so soon (it seems like we just started spring!). I sometimes force myslef to go outside, even if its just to read, when Id rather be doing more indoor-sy things. I know that its best to appreciate it while it lasts because I know how much i'll miss it in winter!
    Summer blues...and this too shall pass...
    CMK

• bloominganne
    15 years ago

Your garden is so utterly gorgeous, no wonder you're kind of in a slump! Plus I happened to notice that you're a Pisces - we're very creative fishes but we sometimes run out of steam and have to take a rest :-) At least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

• Annie
    15 years ago

For the past four years or so I have gotten the mid-summer blues. I have so much that I really want to do, but no energy and I often can't force myself out into the garden to attend to things. It makes no sense to work hard all spring and early summer to get the garden going and then get burned out when I know I need to be out there, but it happens to me every year after the Fourth of July. It gradually takes over and by August I am in a full-blown slump. I don't understand it.

I blame it on my "Empty Nest Syndrome" - like what's the point when there is no one around anymore to enjoy it with me? I no longer have my little ones to play in the flowers with me and share the wonders of Nature with me. There is nothing to look forward to once my garden has reached it's peak. No one to come for the summer holidays...for cookouts and Sunday Dinner. Even the garden doesn't really need me anymore it seems! Silly as that sounds, it doesn't feel silly inside.

I am thankful for all of you on the Cottage Garden forum who listen to me ramble on, and take the time to look at the photos of my little cottage gardens. It doesn't fill that hole in my heart of loneliness, but it helps, and for that I am truly grateful.

I am post-menopausal and although I am generally a happy person, I have always struggled with bouts of that damnable Lamb-Lewis family trait of depression that threads through the family genes like centipede grass - damn Blue Bloods of New England!

But you, my shirt-tail cousin. Hmmmm...do I hear a thread of guilt in your comments? For what? For being a Mom? For getting tired? For having feelings and needs? Pish Posh!
    As you can see from all the posts, many of us, if not all of us get in a gardening slump for whatever reason...or a housework slump...or a cooking slump...or a being a mommy slump...or a sick of spouse slump...etc, etc, etc. It's not fun, but it appears to be normal unfortunately.

You aren't perhaps, expecting a visit from the stork now are you??? Whatever the reason, don't be so hard on yourself.

I dearly hope you are feeling more yourself really soon.
    As a great admirer of you & all your beautiful "creations",

I remain, a long-distance friend (if you need one),

~ Annie

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Ah, the gardening slump strikes again. I think it hits us all at one time or another, and maybe more times some years.

August and September are really the pits down here, with the awful heat and humidity. Sweat pours, I can't think, and it's just plain miserable out. Plus, the older I get, I don't want to work so hard. I'm not making any more gardens, just working with what I have and trying to get them more the way I'd like them. Our fall/winter/spring weather is the perfect time to work in our gardens down here and I am looking forward to it. Hopefully, what might become Hanna will fizzle out, or head north and out to sea. We don't want her to come our way, which is what they are already predicting.

Brenda ~ You have such beautiful gardens that take a lot of work, and I can understand your being burned out. You also are raising a family. I think your going to the park with your kids was a nice, fun break for all of you.

Sometimes we just have to take breaks from things we are so involved in. It gives us new perspective, new ideas, new energy.

Hang in there. Pretty soon your gardens will be sleeping, awaiting spring and the magic that you perform each year, with the hard work and plantings that you do. They are colorful, wonderful.

You inspire all of us.

FlowerLady

• zigzag
    15 years ago

Nothing I can say that hasn't already been stated above, and so eloquently. Yep, we all get in said slump and it's nice to know we're not alone.

For me, a big part of the joy of gardening is the ebb and flow of the seasons. Spring in all its glory and autumn in its splendor are my favorites, but without torrid summer days and blustery winter nights in between, I might not appreciate them as much.

By mid-August I'm fatigued, plotting against some plants, fantasizing over other to-be newbies ....... welcoming the idea of putting the yards to bed for the winter. Come mid-January, I'm obsessing again - this time chomping at the bit for spring to arrive so I can put those imagined newbies to work. It's a wonderful cycle of life and I'm just glad to be part of it.

• hollyhocker_123
    15 years ago

I'm there right now. My garden didn't turn out the way I wanted this year. Let's vent!! First off my front yard hose has holes so I get sprayed everytime I water. My perennials took off in May. So I didn't do much seed planting. The mass of black eyed Susans annd coneflowers are dried up crones now. Shall I continue. I still suffer from that condition. Where I think I have lots of time to get veggie seeds in. The time to sow radishes is not mid july. Then there is all the deer and woodchucks who eat our tomato plants. Then there are the people across the road with the tidy fenced in veggie garden who go out at 5:30 am to collect produce .I want to knock their heads off. Oh I'm feeling so much better. Maybe next year I'll get things in on time like "Martha" maybe I'll fence in our garden properly like the family across the way. or maybe I won't. I do get compliments on my garden from the lady who walks her dog. Or the tall skinny man and his old mother who pass. Anyway gardening Is like life. The alternative isn't pretty. So my roses don't take but my black eyed susans and cone flowers do so do my daisies . So this year my hollyhocks were crowded so they were short. They still bloomed. Be happy with what you have. Lose interest gain interest. But carry on even a marigold growing in a pot can be beautiful. Carry on my friends carry on !!!!:)

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, so I guess that mid-summer slump really does happen to many of us. I just don't recall it being so extreme in years past.

Sometimes I wish my hobby was stained glass or woodworking or something that would stay done. Gardening is like housework, you work all the time and it's never done. And like hollyhocker I had worse than usual problems with the deer this year. And I discovered a virus in some lilies that has me very worried. All this work and then mother nature even seems to find it fun to play "tricks". At least we had all this glorious rain.

Annie, you make me realize I need to count my blessings with my darling children still young enough to enjoy it with me. Yesterday I showed them how to make the snapdragons snap and they found no end of amusement in that.

Yesterday we also got 3 new kittens from the shelter! One of my beautiful Siamese cats has disappeared and the remaining one was so lonely, so we got three new kitties to keep him company. I'm pretty busy with them today and they are so adorable! And given that they've spent all their time in the shelter, they were amazed by my garden, running under the pumpkin leaves and jumping at the grasshoppers. Hopefully they'll grow up to be good mousers!

• threeorangeboys
    15 years ago

Three new kitties!!! How wonderful!
    Pictures please??? :)
    Brenda, your garden is so beyond amazing and you have so much talent, you'll find your way back to it. Take time off and play with the kittens!

• friesfan1
    15 years ago

I am in the same slump. Happens every year. I still look
    at my garden magazines and dream, however my own veggie
    garden is getting weedy. And, like you, this is wonderful
    weather to garden. Low temps......

Harvest is just around the corner, and I have no interest
    in putting up anything, freezing or canning.

I just gotta get out there and make myself do it!!

Sorry I couldn't make you feel better.

Mary
    z 5b KS

• phill173
    15 years ago

There is a reason they call it "the dog days of summer." There is a natural slow-down that takes place at the end of the summer where we can relax and enjoy the fruits of our springtime labors. For me, it is also a good time to let the hernia heal that I got by hauling around heavy bags of compost. I will get rev'd up again in time for the fall hardy plant sales and spring bulb plantings. Try not to worry about it--you will bounce back soon.

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

When visiting my mother the other day, she told me she just cut down all her Phlox and would begin making the flower garden tidy for winter. Then she exclaimed, "I don't think I'll be able to do all this anymore, I might just quit." This thread came to mind and I repeated the words here, "Oh, it's just because it's August and you're in a slump that's all. Next Spring you'll be rearing to go again!" Her face brightened and she gave me a big smile. Priceless.

• bellarosa
    15 years ago

Hi Brenda,

I can totally relate to what you're feeling. I pretty much just water my few container plants, collect a few - okay, more than a few - JBs, and just go back inside the house. The weeds have taken over different parts of the yard, but I have no desire to be other there pulling them. I think we all get like this. I'm looking forward to cooler weather. I like to tidy the garden and getting it ready for Winter. I'm also thinking of what plants I want to WS this year. I wintersowed a bunch of stuff for the first time this year, in February, and I was amazed to see what actually came up. Anyway, you'll get out of your slump. Just look at your beautiful garden pics for inspiration and joy!

• treelover
    15 years ago

Hmmm...hard to answer, gottagarden.

What's your pattern? That you've been obsessed with your garden is apparent from the photos you've posted here. Do you tend to throw yourself into an activity 100(200?) percent, for a while, then lose interest? If so, maybe that's what's happening now.

I sure hope not, as that will be our loss, too! Sounds like everyone here is hoping you just need a little break.

• carrie630
    15 years ago

.... could the "slump" be caused because your youngest is off to school for the first time - staying away from home probably longer than you've been used to?... We all get into a "slump", whether it be from overdoing it, overthinking or just being overtired... Maybe a little gardening everyday will get a bit done, instead of working all day.

From what I've seen of your photos, everything has always looked wonderful... maybe you could just maintain what you have and not start anything new until you are sure you want to take on another big neverending project...

Good luck - we've all been there at one time or another

Carrie

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well my kids will start school on Wed., so I will suddenly have a lot of time, for the first time. Maybe it's the thought of them being gone all day, that I'm trying to spend more time with them now. But before I used to want to spend time in the garden all the time, now I'm just happy to let it rest. Everyone used to say "Oh this must be so much work", and I would say "yes, but I love all this work", but now it's starting to just feel like regular work . . . .

I'm reminded of something I read a long time ago: It's more fun to MAKE a garden than HAVE a garden.

I plan to put myself on a schedule next week and do a little every day. Sometimes just starting is all it takes.

• carrie630
    15 years ago

A little everyday is probably a great idea. Actually, I am sort of changing my gardening attitude also. I used to jump up out of bed, get dressed, run outside and start "whatever" just to "garden"... Now, I am content with what I've done (whether it's "perfect" or not) and just doing a little bit everyday and toning down some areas to lessen the "work"... I find myself thinking about eliminating certain beds because I see it creates only more work for next year... The drought here has also made me rethink just how much I want to continue creating new borders, etc.

I bet a lot of us can identify with this thread... I am glad you started it..

Carrie

• gldno1
    15 years ago

carrie, your attitude describes mine perfectly.

Less is more is going to be my theme!

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Carrie ~ Since last week when Gldno started the thread about 'My One Thing For Today', I've been trying to get out and do a little each morning. That really helps. Plus, I am also cutting back and not making any more gardens or beds.

Brenda ~ Hope you will soon be feeling better from this gardening slump.

FlowerLady

• carrie630
    15 years ago

Yes, a little in the morning. You get to listen to the birds, feel the fresh air, get in a morning walk and do some bending, cutting and pulling for exercise. Then, after it starts to get warm, or you just think "okay, that's enough" - stop there. That's what I've been doing. This way, I start another indoor project and get some stuff done inside and I still feel like I've enjoyed my gardens. During the time I AM inside, though, I have to admit, I do take a quick walk outside, look around to say hello to the flowers/birds/butterflies, etc. etc., but I try not to work those afternoons. This has kept me from overdoing it and has increased my interest in other things... while I still have my love of the outside and gardening...

:0)

Carrie

• fammsimm
    15 years ago

Since I last posted to this thread, I am feeling much better about gardening. I shovel pruned and cut back a lot of things a couple weeks ago and that, coupled with some rain, has rejuvenated my garden and my interest in it. It's nice to see some color creep back into what once was brown, crispness.

Marilyn

• squirrel_girl
    15 years ago

I'm glad some of you are perking up out of your slump. I'm officially joining the slump. My gardener's tan is even fading. I'm going to go read the One Thing thread in hopes to have an exit strategy for my new slump. Even though I know mine is from a bit of other stress, I like the idea of blaming it on the heat. Thanks for the rational ladies.

Sponsored