SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
balsam_gw

What have you been up to in the gardens?

balsam
17 years ago

Well, I know from reading posts that many of you already have lots of snow so you aren't likely able to do much outdoors, but what about the rest?

Thursday was beautiful here in NB with very unseasonably warm temps of 10 deg. Celcius (about 50 F?). I took the day off work and spent most of it outside doing odds and ends. It all started with filling my birdfeeders in the morning. I kind of got carried away and ended up working in the yard for an hour and a half in my pj's (with rubber boots and a jacket)!!! LOL. I decided to go inside to eat and get dressed.

Later on I went for a nice long, two hour walk down on "the Islands" (in the Saint John River). It was lovely. Saw lots of wildlife - ducks, geese, birds, three deer, and even a red fox. Walked about 10 km, I think. When I got home I started on yard work again. Cleaned up the remaining Clematis tangutica and bittersweet vines. Saved some bittersweet to make a wreath for Christmas. Filled the last windowbox with cedar boughs - will do lights this weekend. Attempted to clean up the greenhouse, but gave up because it was nearly suppertime AND I hadn't yet done any of the homework I promised myself I'd do if I took the day off!

I don't regret that one bit, though. Last night we got freezing rain and snow flurries. Today is clearing, but it's below 0 and everything is coated in crumbly ice. If I hadn't taken advantage of Thursday, most of that stuff wouldn't have gotten done until spring. Today I'm paying the price - doing assignments and housework (I'm just on "coffee break" right now, honest!).

So what have you all been up to in your yards/gardens this week?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath