SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luvfog

Northern CA garden slowly coming from out of a serious slump

luvfog
6 years ago

Last year we reseeded our back lawn. It has gone from a marscape to a fairly lush lawn, which needs weekly mowings. That was step 1. Now, step 2... what about along the fence? Yes its leaning badly and thats another issue, but plant wise, I am in a quandary. We face east in the back so its full sun there most of the day. There is about 3 feet from lawn to fence. Not much water but perhaps edge lawn sprinklers could water that with simple adjustment. Low water in any case. Tired of grasses. Arching shrubs seem interesting, composition wise. I love the change of deciuous shrubs and trees. I thought about 2 or 3 Akebono flowering cherry trees but we have clay soil and they may do poorly. I get tired of a lot of color, (although I do love fall color) so I dont want butterfly bushes. Perhaps lilacs (with watering)? No roses -I have a bunch and I am sick of thorns. Picky huh? I "just" want low maintenance, visually peaceful, with a little yearly surprise of color. Oh and i want to put some stumps or pods to sit on for summer evening croquet events. So any plants should be friendly to touch and have no unpleasant aroma. Too much to ask? Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)