SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

A few of my favorite northern hardy conifers

ladylotus
12 years ago

Here are a few of my favorite conifers. I have been purchasing very small plants because they are less expensive since I have 20 acres with about 2 or 3 acres in gardens. I'm going to eventually (at a slow pace) turn all my perennial gardens into conifer gardens so that I don't have all the spring clean up and I can sit and enjoy my gardens a little.

This is my Abies veitchii 'Glauca' I really love this conifer. If I remember right it has some beautiful red cones on it that really contrasted nicely with the blue/green color of the tree.

Picea abies 'Frohburg'

Pinus flexilis 'Elliot'

Pinus strobus 'Louie' showing off it's fall gold coloring. This is a beautiful conifer that always gets a fair number of compliments from visitors.

Have you ever purchased a plant solely for the name? I purchased this one for the name as well as the blue coloring. This is Picea pungens 'Otto Bismark'.

I also like Abies balsamea 'Tyler's Blue'.

I better quit for now. I don't want to bog the post down so much that it takes too long to open.

I would love to hear what your favorite conifers are. Do you guys have a hard time getting your plants started? I seem to really struggle with that. I generally have to cover all newly planted conifers for the first 3 years for sure during the winter months. The brutal winds will dry out the needles and kill my plants. I am getting more of a windbreak around our country home now so things seem to be doing so much better.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone.

Comments (24)