SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashleysf_gw

how to outsmart birds - and eat the figs you grow?

ashleysf
14 years ago

Please add your homegrown tips to this thread if you have any ...

My sad story: For 10 years, I have a fig tree in the backyard and I have not eaten a single ripe fig. The birds ate each and every single ripe fig. And the unripe ones were too astringent for my taste. We have a colony of squirrels running around too - so I cannot fully blame the birds.

I never knew how delicious my homegrown figs were until this year, when I decided to fight them. I wrapped plastic grocery bags around each fig and tied it with twine -took me an hour to do it. There was rain and then there was some sprinkler water, condensation etc so it made all the ripe figs split inside the bags. But, I still got to see ripe figs for the first time ever. They were so delicious and now I know why the birds are so crazy about them. So, in order to control the condensation in the bags, I replaced all of them with ziploc bags with holes punched in them. I used the zipper of the ziploc bags to secure them. This strategy worked for 4 days. But, this morning, my ziploc bags had been removed by birds and dropped on the ground - and 4 of my ripest figs are gone. I am back to the drawing board looking for ideas for protecting my figs. I only get less than 50 figs a year. And ideally, if I harvested half of it, I will be a happy camper. I don't want to pick unripe figs to outsmart the birds as I have been doing. Any help???

Comments (39)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor