SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bramble_farm

Can you help me outsmart my chicken?

bramble_farm
18 years ago

We have three lovely little hens in a cute tractor I drag around each day. Our best layer (Polly) is a wild little thing and just escaped for the third time in 6 months. Unfortunately, Polly is FAST and very wary. If one of the lazier hens decided to wander, I'd just shrug but Polly is one of those an egg a day girls, so I want to catch her. We bought a long-handled fish net, but she starts squawking in alarm if we get within 20 feet of her, and we've not had luck yet. Last night, I waited almost 30 minutes while she roosted in a tree (mosquitoes were awful!!) for her to fall asleep, but when I got 5 feet from her tree, she started to flutter. I almost got her with the net, but in the dark, I missed. How do you all catch a wild chicken? Can I put a little rum on some grain or something to slow her down? We have a lot of brambles that she will run into to hide from us if we get too close which makes it impossible to catch her just by wearing her down. Someone has to know a trick, right? I don't care how silly- I'll try just about anything now. I thought about leaving the roof on her tractor open for her to jump in on her own, but then thought the other two might just join her- anyone had experience with that? The coop we've been planning to build has just become a priority. Ok you chicken wizards, "lay" it on me!

Comments (12)