SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamchesbay

Growing conifers from the Med in VA - Can it work?

Pamchesbay
16 years ago

I recently visited the Dalmatian Coast of Croatia where incredible, diverse groups of conifers grow together. I think the main species were Aleppo pine (Pinus halepensis), stone pine (Pinus pinea), Dalmatian black pine (Pinus nigra), cypress (Cypressus), Cedrus libani, Serbian spruce (Picea omorika).

Landscaping around homes on the Adriatic included conifers and palms. The contrast between the conifers and palms was striking and different from anything I've seen in Virginia.

Single trees and groves lean at sharp angles due to the wind - this looks dramatic and striking.

After experiencing the beauty of the Dalmatian coast, I felt inspired, but also hesitant. I checked the climates of both areas, superficially, they are very similar (see below).

Croatian conifers must be salt and wind tolerant - many are planted just a few feet from the sea. Trees planted near the Bay must be able to tolerate hot, dry winds out of the south; salt tolerance is a plus.

Question: In your opinion, can I use these trees or similar trees and palms to landscape around my house that is about 75 feet from the Chesapeake Bay (zone 8a or maybe 8b)?

Climate. The climate of the Dalmatian coast is described as mild, average air temperature in January is 9.8 °C; average air temp in July is 26.9 °C. Average annual rainfall is 1,100 mm (43.31 inches).

The climate in southeastern Virginia is mild, average air temperature in January is 40 F (4.4 C); average temperature in July is 79 F (26.1 C). Average annual rainfall is 48 inches (1,220 mm).

I'd like your thoughts and advice. Can I make this work? I know I'll need to find substitutes for conifers like the Aleppo pine - it's grown in Arizona and the high deserts of the US.

Comments (28)