SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
an_ill_mannered_ache

lisa's thread's too long... wbiyg, february edition!

i have some nice blossoms going on in my garden.

what's blooming in your garden?

calendula, the first bloom of the season

prosperity. i love this rose more than any other in my garden.

G. oxonianum, a perennial or hardy geranium. a zonal outcast. it's been growing trouble-free in this pot for three years. will bloom all spring.

Comments (35)

• foogie
    16 years ago

Those are very pretty! My favorite is the calendula. Do those grow well in florida?

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    Original Author
    16 years ago

in the cool season, they do very well. i grow mine from saved seed year to year. they last until, say, first of june, when it's too much trouble to water them.

• Related Discussions

WBIYG... mid-March edition...

Q

Comments (42)
    Katkin, I fertilize infrequently and weakly. Sometimes fish emulsion or kelp solution, but compost tea a little more often. I do use collected rain water, and fertilize only once or twice monthly. I haven't used any synthetic fertilizers in 4 or 5 years. It just made them have weak growth with fungus or bacterial spots, and my catts would get white scale, the phals, mealybugs. Since I started using infrequent,weak organic stuff, I've had no pests, needing no spraying or treating for anything. I think sun is the single most important factor.
    ...See More

wbiyg?

Q

Comments (28)
    Hi Ginny! I was just thinking about you and bodiggly recently and hoping to see pictures of your beautiful gardens. Thanks!!! We all are having a hard time finding blooms, but together, we'll do fine this month and next month we'll try again and find more and more, I hope. Your amaryllis and salvia patch looks like spring has sprung! Fresh and beautiful and I love that unique trellis also. What will you have to climb that? Melissa, please do show your azaleas. The ones down here are almost in full bloom and they are having a great year. I guess it's been the cold winters the last two years. The colors are so welcome. Today was soooo beautiful I took a walk with the camera. Her is what I came up with. Not full blooms, but colors nonetheless: This shady corner in the back has this eranthemum pulchellum in full bloom now. The blue is almost electric. The picture focused on the begonias in the foreground, but what I was trying to show is the blue in the back. I have found this coleus to be exceedingly cold tolerant. One of two that overwinters in my yard. The others go with the first real cold. I love it and expanded last year in several places. I plan on expanding more this year as I love the bright pink. The picture is a bit overexposed as I shot in the direction of the sun, but I liked the effect nonetheless. I was going to wait to show the epidendrums when in full bloom, but the colors looked so nice today I couldn't resist to show how they're coming along. Anna
    ...See More

Show us your landscape - a photo thread - February 2013

Q

Comments (60)
    This morning I noticed the car had interesting frost patterns (as others have documented in past threads) but I was most startled by the snow on the windshield. I've never seen wrinkled snow before - I guess yesterday's snow then rain then freeze addled the snow mat and it started sliding and folding then froze solid. It's warming up quickly now and the mat probably slid off already. Claire
    ...See More

What are you reading? February 2023 Edition

Q

Comments (79)
    I read The Personal Librarian and really enjoyed it. What an amazing story and a good read. I do kind of wonder if Marie Benedict is such a good writer, or is it because the lives of those women she writes about are so fasinating- kind of the chicken or the egg. Either way I like reading her books. I gave it 4 stars. I also did read Foster, which I enjoyed but also felt was not quite complete and sure did end abruptly. My book club met yesterday to discuss Anxious People, and the vast majority maybe 12 ,loved it. There was one other like me who was kind of in the middle about it ( 3 stars ) and 2 women who said they couldn't finish it and gave up.
    ...See More
  • countrynest
    16 years ago

Hi ill,
    I love your Prosperity rose.
    My Louis Phillipe is blooming beautifully right now.
    I'll try to remember to take a picture and post it.
    Felix

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

Good morning ill ~ I love your blooms. Your calendula is so deeply colored. I have not had luck with them for some reason, and here you are growing them from seed every year. I haven't tried that, just bought a plant or two at spring time. ~ Prosperity is one of my favorites also. ~ That little geranium is a real winner. Love the color. Aaaahhh, I see that you are further north and maybe that's why you have success with the calendula and the geraniums.

Here are some pictures I took early on this gray morning.

Angelwing begonias ~ at least that is what I think these are. They smell sweetly too.

{{gwi:807764}}

Azaleas and copperleaf

{{gwi:807765}}

Dainty Bess

{{gwi:807766}}

Dainty Bess ~ I just love her royal purple stamens, even after the petals have fallen. To me she smells of cloves.

{{gwi:807768}}

Mm. Laurette Messimy - in one of a pair of huge planters we found one year.

{{gwi:807770}}

Mm. Laurette Messimy close up. She scents my back potting area wonderfully.

{{gwi:807772}}

This is Mutabilis.

{{gwi:807774}}

Souvenir de la Maison

{{gwi:807776}}

Thank you for looking ~ FlowerLady

• athagan
    16 years ago

I have a Mutablis that I'll be planting this spring along with two other old Florida roses. Yours looks very nice.

.....Alan.

• annafl
    16 years ago

Oh, Ill, I love that prosperity rose. It is so graceful and cottagy. I also love that geranium. Is it growing in a pot or in the ground?

Flowerlady, that Laurette Messimy and the Dainty Bess are superb. You all are tempting me with more roses, and I've promised myself not to buy anymore.

Here are a few more bloomers from my garden.

Rondeletia. It really looks better than in this photo. Lighting was wrong.

Joe Hayden begonia about to bloom.

I've had this orchid many, many years. It is nothing special in the orchid world, but it reminds me of daffodils in the spring. It is coming into bloom now and I always enjoy it.

Pentas, of course. Starburst ones.

Another orchid, a young one this time. I love the colors. Thanks to you, Ill, I did not prune my KO's this January like I usually do, and although not real full yet, have been enjoying some cheery blooms and color for over a month. I think I will try pruning it when it starts looking tired. Always learning something here!

Anna

• nova_gw
    16 years ago

ill-man - Love your Prosperity! May have to look into getting one!

Flowerlady - I already have a soft spot for single roses now that I have seen Dainty Bess I just may have too find room for her!

nova

• countrynest
    16 years ago

Lois Phillipe above and two below

Don Juan

Don Juan as sun was setting today.

Shrimp plant in a new location

Powder Puff in sunnier location transplanted a few months ago doing great.

Can anyone tell me what this is? I forgot.

Felix

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful!

Felix, your Lois Phillipe is pretty but does not look like Lois Phillipe to me...Maybe, Old Blush? Last picture looks like kalanchoe

So many pretty roses, everyone! I love Dainty Bess, and Prosperity is unbelievable

Flower lady, Mm. Laurette Messimy is going on my wish list. So cute and looks healthy

Anna, your orchids are gorgeous, as always!
    You asked about cymbidiums in the previous thread - yes, they are all warm tolerant. I bought some in Lowes/HD, some from Oak Hill Gardens, some at Redlands...I do some research on parentage, and avoid buying standards grown in California. All grown in clay pots - I feel it is important, and with strong diffused light all day.

Let me add a few more pictures to this colorful thread

More cymbidiums - these two are almost done blooming

A modern rose (minority in my garden, as I try to grow more OGRs now) - I keep Mirandy for strong delicious citrusy fragrance

Olya

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

Beautiful photos!!!

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    Original Author
    16 years ago

flowerlady... wow. i really need to find a place for my mutabilis and find some more singles. nova -- i, too, really love singles, but have practically none. felix -- your yard, like, embodied florida gardening. all the plants i associate so strongly with cracker garderns. olya, i stand in awe, as always, at your orchids. i have ok luck with oncidiums, but otherwise i struggle with them. and jan -- that brug is breathtaking. i only started growing them last year, but found them probably the best flower in my garden in august. i purloined a yellow cutting from a local business, and planted a bunch of seeds from swallowtail. i have the same crown of thorns -- the yellow one. that's what it is, right? crown of thorns. i keep it in a pot, and it blooms all year.

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

Alan ~ What other old garden roses are you adding to your gardens?

Anna ~ You know that roses are addicting and you can never stop adding just one more. Although, let me see, when is the last time I got one, oh yea, my birthday last year. DH bought me Chrysler Imperial, and I already have a cutting that rooted and is blooming from it. The scent is wonderful. I'm going to be taking cuttings to get more rooted so that I can have more roses without spending a lot of $. ~ I also have Rondeletia. I need to see if I can get cuttings going from that also. Yours looks like it is in partial shade, is it? Mine is is my main garden and really gets the sun in the summer. What color flowers does your Joe Hayden have? I love the color of those leaves. ~ Your orchids to me are always beautiful and leave me sighing and wishing.

Nova ~ You won't be disappointed with Dainty Bess. She's a real charmer. Prosperity is another sweet rose you would love.

Felix ~ I also think your rose is pretty but it doesn't look like Louis Phillipe to me either. I have LP and also have Don Juan. Your Don Juan has wonderful deep coloring with the veining. I love the heavy scent of DJ. Love your shrimp plant and your powderpuff too. The other is a sedum as someone else has said.

Oyla ~ Mm. Laurette Messimy is a sweetie. I have three of her. One in my shed's garden and one in each of the huge shell covered flowerpots. ~ Your orchids always are gorgeous. You and Anna must have magic orchid thumbs.

Jan ~ Love your orchids and your brug is wonderful, your other blooms pretty also. I lost a huge, wonderful peach colored brug that I had had for years last year. I was really bummed out. I never made any cuttings from it.

Ill ~ You will love Mutabilis. It is called the butterfly rose.

It is so great seeing all of your lovely flowers and gardens. I've been out working in my new potting area. Getting it set up to plant seeds and cuttings. I will post pictures when I have it set up and arranged better.

Thanks again for sharing pictures of your fantastic gardens. They make me keep working in mine. I have tropical, cottage style gardens.

FlowerLady

• countrynest
    16 years ago

Olya and others, this is the story,HELP!
    I bought a small plant from a Marion County Master Gardener at
    the yearly Spring sale in Ocala several,several years ago. You're still with me? They, "The" Master Gardener, said it was
    "A Cracker rose" aka Louis Phillipe. Nova comes to visit and tells me "it is not a cracker rose". I become confuse. I do not know the name of my baby:-(
    Manature visits me. I tell her and she said that to her it looks like LP. I get happy again for I never believed Nova.
    :-) I believe that Manature has wisdom never known to men
    since King Solomon. Now Olya drops the bomb and Flowerlady
    backs her up. But wait, I read in ill's post"felix -- your yard, like, embodied florida gardening. all the plants i associate so strongly with cracker garderns". There it is,
    he said cracker. Is he saying Cracker Rose?
    AND Manature is not around. She must still be celebrating
    her wedding anniversary. Wow,some celebration.
    I'm confused and having a psychotic episode.HA HA HA

Felix

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

Felix ~ Your thread was funny.

I can understand being confused and having psychotic episodes. LOL. Identifying roses will do it to one, that is for sure.

Below is a picture of Louis. He is redder when first opening, this one is fading. Your's could be Old Blush as Olya has said.

{{gwi:807824}}

• annafl
    16 years ago

Hey, Jan, that combination of the deep red croton with the brug that's blooming its heart out is stunning! Your dendrobium nobile hybrids are wonderful too.

Olya, you have definitely inspired me to try cymbidiums again. I will do some research when I get a chance, and may ask your advice.

Felix, I agree with the other two. Your LP is very pretty in pink, but looks very different from my Louis Phillipe. Your photos reminded me that I intend to get some shrimp plants this spring.

Flowerlady, yes the rondeletia is in quite a bit of shade, but still blooms pretty well. I have another one in even more shade which blooms later, but also blooms pretty well. The flowers on Joe are sort of a deep coral pink. I'm not crazy about flowers on begonias. I would just as soon cut them off and enjoy the foliage year round.

Keep posting, everyone! It's so nice to see so many blooms in February! Aren't we lucky?

Anna

• PRO
    16 years ago

Ill, yes that is yellow crown of thorns in the ground. The brug is kinda young plant but it's getting fuller.

Flower lady, happy to give you a brug cutting.

Thank you all for your kind words.
    Jan

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Felix, whatever the name, your rose is beautiful
    Here is how my Old Blush and LP look:

Louis Philippe, from James Mills, K&M nursery

Old Blush

Cramoisi Superieur or Louis Philippe

Olya

• nova_gw
    16 years ago

Felix - "Cracker Rose" is a common name, hence it can be applied to almost any rose that grows well in Florida. The original "Crackers" were really cowboys who drove cattle out of the Florida brush by cracking whips at them. The cowboy's wives grew roses that took little care and thrived and called them "Cracker Roses" The name was later applied to what we know now as "Louis Philippi" since it was a predominate rose grown. Here is my Louis Philippi -

I do have an "Old Blush" rose but don't have a picture of the bloom handy but your "Cracker Rose" does look a lot like it. When you come to my house we can compare the two and see if we can make a decision as to what beauty you have.

Whatever you do don't make youself demented over it as your lovely pink rose is certainly a keeper and since it grows well here in Florida you can call it a "Cracker Rose"

nova

• countrynest
    16 years ago

Nova, since you made me demented by putting the doubt in me,
    trouble maker. I think you should redeem yourself by starting a cutting for me of LP. Yours and the other pictures of Olya
    and Flowerlady are redder than mine. Now I want one.
    Thank you all for allowing me to have fun with you all and myself.
    Felix

• nova_gw
    16 years ago

Felix- I will be more than happy to start a cutting of Louis Philippi for you! The one I have now is a cutting of the one I had in my old garden down south that I brought up here with me. So it is a "pass along" rose in the truest fashion of "Cracker Roses".

nova

• athagan
    16 years ago

Alan ~ What other old garden roses are you adding to your gardens?

I have a Louis Phillipe and a Caldwell Pink in the ground. Waiting to be planted is a Mutablis, Bow Bells, and one called Madame something or other. I can never remember her name.

I like Cracker roses because they're Florida tough. I don't have time to fuss over ornamentals.

.....Alan.

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

Jan ~ I would love a cutting from your brug. Are you going to be going to Ricky's swap in May? I'm going to try to go this time.

Alan ~I also have Caldwell's Pink and it's a great little rose. I had to look up BowBells and it's really pretty. What color is your Madame something or other?

Happy Gardening ~ FlowerLady

• athagan
    16 years ago

To be honest, I'm not sure. I bought the three at the same time and I don't recall what her color is. She's got some buds forming so I may find out soon. They really like a mulch of coffee grounds it seems.

.....Alan.

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

A mulch of coffee grounds? I'll have to stop adding my grounds to the compost pile and put them around my roses instead.

FlowerLady

• gardencpa
    16 years ago

Here are some from my garden:
    I forget what this is. A lily of some sort.

An azalea so pink it makes your eyes bleed!

The frame for my new greenhouse

Some pineapple sage too close to four o'clocks. I am going to pull out that bunch of fours and move it somewhere else since I have plenty of room. Plus the dog likes to lay on them.

A mishmash of stuff. I love the artemesia.

And finally a shrimp plant that is starting to look good.

M

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    Original Author
    16 years ago

melissa,
    it's a fortnight lily, or dietes vegata. it's such a great plant. totally completely and utterly drought resistant, reseeds politely, is in bloom from spring till frost... you probably got it from me.

your sage surprising. mine are mostly dormant. things look great!

what are you putting in the green house?

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    Original Author
    16 years ago

something new...

chickasaw plum. fruits nicely, too.

• gardencpa
    16 years ago

Michael,

I did get the lily from you. I dug it up out of your yard and took it straight to mine. Of the two, only this one has bloomed but it has been blooming pretty consistently. I also got the sage from you I think and it has been growing like crazy. I covered it for the cold and it never even slowed down. Heck, I got half my plants from you. I am lucky to live so close. Thanks again.

The greenhouse will be sort of a potting shed/green house. Tim plans to give it a translucent roof and mostly screened walls. That spot never really gets full sun but has filtered light through most of the day. It will be a place for potting plants and starting seeds and a way to get my sprawling gardening supplies out of the garage. The flooring and part of the walls are from salvaged wood so it will not be really super expensive to build. I hope it works out. It is sort of an experiment.

• the_musicman
    16 years ago

Great stuff guys!
    Let me make this thread a little longer.
    OK, here goes...

Geranium

Delaware Valley White Azalea

Acacia farnesiana just starting to bloom

Bryophyllum diagremontianum

Jalepeno pepper!

Lion's Ear

Mirandy

Temple Orange

Better Boy Tomatoes!

Salvia melissodora smells like grape candy!

and lastly, Viburnum suspensum complete with one drunk bee! :)

Thanks for lookin'
    ~tmm

• Bren2
    16 years ago

They are all so beautiful! A couple of mine:

• nova_gw
    16 years ago

This thread is getting pretty long too! But I do want to share my beauties with you, so here's mine -

Honsysuckle

Queen's Wreath

Carolina Jessamine

Flame Vine

Peach Blossom

Lady Margeret

Old Blush

Mlle Franziska Kruger

Spice

nova

• athagan
    16 years ago

Posted by flowerlady

Alan ~I also have Caldwell's Pink and it's a great little rose. I had to look up BowBells and it's really pretty. What color is your Madame something or other?

I finally remembered to look at the rose pots the other day. My "madame something or other" is a Madame Joseph Schwartz. It was blooming pale pink when I bought it. From reading around I suspect by the time the hot weather rolls in she'll be white then go back to pale pink when the weather cools.

This one isn't mine, but a photo from Teas Nursery. They seem to have a nice selection of antiques.
    {{gwi:807908}}

.....Alan.

• an_ill-mannered_ache
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i must have queens wreath.

• PRO
    16 years ago

Me too. (i must have queens wreath.)
    Jan

• barbcoleus