SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

What is more confusing then siting evergreens?

Maybe I am the only one that finds this confusing? I have mostly been purchasing decidious shrubs and two years ago, I started trying to add more evergreens. It is not easy. I do have boxwood and I planted them before I knew you had to be careful and they rarely ever lose a branch to winter damage. Recently, I brought home a 'Sunny Foster' Holly, that is hardy to zone 6. The nursery suggested that I plant it in a sheltered location. Explaining that should be in the Southeast part of the property. My southeast corner gets plenty of sun til early afternoon right now since a Maple has no leaves already. On the forums I am reading that you should avoid wind and avoid winter sun. But this shrub prefers full sun and where can I possibly find a place that has full sun in the summer but no sun in the winter? Isn't it usually the other way around? Your garden gets more sun in the winter when the leaves are off the trees? I have another holly 'Honey Maid' that I am trying to figure out where to put too. Would appreciate any input that would help me sort this out.

Comments (3)