SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan53_2008

Weather & Confused Evergreens......

jan53_2008
15 years ago

We have had a few freezes here in N. Central Texas, and all the dormants in my garden are sleeping nicely in their beds. But, my evergreen daylilies are seemingly very confused as to what they need to do, with the up and down temps that we are having. Instead of the usual 45-55 degree weather that is "normal" for here this time of year, we have had a lot of 70 degree days, and the last two have been between 80-85 degrees!!! Even for here and our "wait a minute it will change" weather cycle, that is very warm. (Believe me, I am not complaining a bit, though!! LOL) I didn't plant my first daylily until Fall of '06, so none of my DL's are big, established clumps, but I don't remember seeing any evergreens that kept growing and sending up new foliage and fans at this same time last year. Maybe because they are more established plants? I was just walking around this morning noticing all the shoots that are already showing through and how much bigger the "green spots" among the dead dormant foliage is than it was just a couple of weeks ago. I remember last year raking all the dead foliage up in late winter/very early spring and it seemed to be forever before I saw any green in the bed. It is just an interesting observation, as I am in no way an "old hat" at raisng daylilies, and still learning lots and lots from here and the Robin every day!!! Jan G.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County