SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomnorthjersey

Seriously Confused. Need Evergreen Bed Help!

TomNorthJersey
11 years ago

I've tried really hard to do a lot of research but I still can't seem to come up with a plan that I like. Can someone save me from the constant banging my head against the wall? Also some help identifying some of the plants in my inspiration photos would help. I'm not very good at this. :( Not sure about what plants, spacing, positioning after all this time looking and reading. I'm in NJ zone 7a.

I have a small corner of the front landscape that I've been unhappy with and I'd like to convert it into a small evergreen garden bed. There are currently 2 arborvitae, about 5' tall 3.5' diameter in the space. I'd like to fill in the front (bottom in plan) and the side by the driveway with some more evergreen shrubs to fill it in and give it a nice layered look. I already have a plan on what to plant between the arborvitae. I want a multitextured/colored look that's neat but not manicured looking.

So far I've been considering azaleas, euonymus, wintercreeper, dwarf blue juniper. I like the japanese barberry but don't want an invasive plant but found Loropetalum Purple Pixie which has similar color. It seems to be low growing.

Here's what the area looks like now plus how I plan to shape/mulch the bed.

{{gwi:48337}}
upload pictures

Here are some photos from around my neighborhood and around the web that have the look I'm going for. Any help identifying them would be greatly appreciated.

{{gwi:48338}} {{gwi:48339}} {{gwi:48340}} {{gwi:48341}}

{{gwi:48342}} {{gwi:48343}} {{gwi:48344}} {{gwi:48345}}

{{gwi:48346}} {{gwi:48347}} {{gwi:48348}} {{gwi:48349}}

{{gwi:48350}} {{gwi:48351}}

Comments (12)