SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jollyrd

need help choosing evergreen tree

jollyrd
15 years ago

I've been reading this section of the forum and love your help and ideas. So now I hope to hear from you re evegreen tree that would go in the flower bed by the front porch. I posted pictures here

http://public.fotki.com/LeylaM/garden/summer-2008/

NOTE -- the site has a password == seegarden

here are my search criterias --

It should grow no more than 6 ft wide and 6-8 ft tall at mature stage; conical rather than straight and narrow shape; disease resistant, not invite many creatures/insects that you would not want next to house and porch.

Conditions: clay soil, Ph 5.8-6.0 but I am working on improving it (horse manure, leave mold, lime, paper); gets full morning sun, afternoon shade, will be positioned next to porch facing east, at the far left (south)end of it -- I want to be able to decorate with lights for holidays using outdoor outlet on the porch; considering a driveway to the left and porch support columns to the back -- need to make sure roots will not come up and damage columns and driveway. Flower bed will be to the right along the entire run of the porch so the tree will not shade any flowers. Could consider growing in a pot but realy would like for it to go into the ground. The flower bed is about 4 ft deep, but the area for the tree is wider -- rounded outwards for 6 ft diameter. If anyone thinks I need to make it larger I will consider that and should be able to take over more space, since I am just at the start of the project.

Considering: Norway Spruce, Colorado Blue Spruce, Austrian Pine, Gnome, Ed Hirle, Albert Globe, Alberta and Pixie, Scotch Pine Tree. Which one come in dwarf version?

When would be best time to plant? How to care first few seasons?

I hope you are still reading this and understand that I don't want to redo this and waste a tree that is too large or wrong for the spot.

Comments (2)