SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skinnyhoops

Stray cat hunting and killing birds

skinnyhoops
14 years ago

There's a stray cat hanging around my backyard everyday becoming a nuisance. Yesterday I was outside and heard some commotion around the corner, turns out the cat had just killed a bird! It's not even eating it, just killed it for the heck of it. I know it's in their nature to hunt and kill, but I can't enjoy bird watching when this cat is scaring away the birds. Or even worse killing them. I have about 3 bird feeders in my backyard.

What are some humane techniques to scare the nuisance cat out of my yard? I live in a city lot and my backyard is completely fenced, but the cat just jumps over the fence obviously. I was thinking of getting a high power water gun but those toys don't really hit a distant target thats runs away as soon as it sees me. Are there any products that contain predator urine so the cat will think a predator is lurking? Again, i'm looking for humane techniques. Not really interested in county Animal Control either, I heard rumors they putdown unwanted nuisance cats. I don't mind if the cat lives around the neighborhood, but I just want it to stop hunting the visiting birds!

Comments (140)