SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brownthumbs789

Newbie panic and subsequent questions

brownthumbs789
11 years ago

Ok, conifer addicts - FRESH MEAT!!! :) Seriously though, I seem to have done things a touch backwards - as in read as many posts as my little brain can handle... AFTER ordering 7 dwarf conifers (from somewhere where it sounds like I might be getting 7 root-bound, mislabeled sticks and so all this might not matter anyhow...)

Anyhoo, I was hoping to get some "expertise intervention" to give my 7 sticks the best shot they got, as I have a few questions after reading a bunch of these wonderful, chock-full-of-info, albeit brain-overloading, posts!

First a little background info - I live in zone 6b, but pretty close to 7a (in south-central PA ~5 mins from the MD border). I ordered my wannabe-gorgeous-dwarf-conifers-one-day, 2 days ago so they have NOT arrived yet. I've listed what I ordered at the end of this post.

First question: (an easy one which will probably have all of you rolling your eyes, but all my searches on it came up with banning marijuana... Sigh.) What is a "ban pot"? :)

Second question: assuming I get my little babies within the next week, is it too late to plant them for my zone? Since they're all 1 gallon-pot-sized or less, should I take them out of their pots before putting them in the ground? If yes, should I place them in their "forever home" spots? Or put them somewhere else? (I don't really have any formal, dutifully treated/built-up-for-several-years "beds" made... I basically live on the side of a mountain... well, foothill, really, but the point being I don't think my soil is all THAT bad - at least it's not the "red" hard clay - it's just that I sometimes tend to dig out more mini-boulders than I do soil. Gives new meaning to the phrase "rock garden". :) Anyways, I digress...) If yes to taking them out of their pots, from what I've read, it sounds like the ideal way to plant them is to separate all the roots, cut off any "J" or girdled roots (unless I can successfully straighten them, correct??), make a hard, packed cone inside my hole, and drape the roots down the mounded cone and fill in the hole, making sure the crown is just above soil level (correct?) Then mulch 2-3" on top of the soil, but away from the trunk, correct? (Potentially dumb) question: this means that I pretty much remove all the soil to untangle the roots, right? Is it too late in the season to remove all their soil? What about doing the root pruning (I'm assuming they're most likely gonna be root-bound)? If SEVERELY root-bound, does that change the answer/how I should plant them? (i.e. stick them back in their pots, plant the pots in the ground, and then try to deal with root pruning and such in early spring instead so that I don't remove too much of the plants' stored energy?)

And finally (I know, I know - you never thought we'd get here...) :) regarding planting locations - in many of the absolutely gorgeous photos that have made me an addict before having any clue what I was doing, it looks like the plants are planted quite close together... But eventually (a long time from now, but still), these things are going to get huge (well... assuming they LIVE). So... how do you decide how far apart to plant these guys? Base it on their "10-yr" size? Base it on their fully mature size? Or base it closer to their current size? I thought some of them didn't like to be transplanted though? Any particular species like it less than the others? Or not something you really have to worry about because they'll still be relatively small when they'd be transplanted?

I apologize for the million and one questions!!! I realize it might take a little bit to sludge through my post and I truly appreciate any efforts at helping these brown thumbs turn green!!! I did try several searches to find answers but seems like I ended up with more questions (being the daggone (impulsive) perfectionist that I am... Ugh!)

So without further ado, here is the list of aspiring contestants that hopefully have not been sent to their doom... And YES! Of COURSE I got 4 of them that are susceptible to sunburn JUST to make it extra-challenging for myself!! (rolling eyes...)

Abies koreana 'Aurea' - ban pot; 5-8" plant

Abies koreana 'Horstmann's Silberlocke' - 1 gal; 10-12" plant

Pinus densiflora 'Oculus Draconis' - ban pot; no size given

Pinus cembra 'Blue Mound' - ban pot; no size given

Pinus strobus 'Blue Shag' - 1 gal; 3 yr graft; 12-15" plant

Picea mariana 'Aurea' - 1 gal; 2 yr graft; 8-12" plant

Picea orientalis 'Skylands' - ban pot; no size given

Many thanks for all your time and help!

Mary

Comments (19)