SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dorotamon_gw

Mixed evergreen border - need creative ideas!

dorotamon
10 years ago

Hello,
Please relieve me from my mysery! I read may wonderful advises come out from this forum and I am very hopeful that you read my post.

We just moved into our dream home and I spend two months reading the posts in this forum along with gardening books in effort to figure out what to plant along our property to hide the chain link fence and the cars riding on the road. We plan on living here for a long term, 20 yrs + so I really care to pick the plants that would still look great in 30-40 yrs from now. Preferably with low maintenance. Due to deer problem and for visual interest I would stay away from arbovitae, also I was told to avoid pines and firs which are frequently eaten by deer. I was advised to plant spruces, specifically norway. The issue with those is that they get very large in width and hight and we would completely cutt ourselves from the forest near us.

I understand annual growth rates and that trees don't stop growing!!! but can you recommend any spruce cultivars (and in what configuration) for intermediate growth that would be narrow and dense but very slow growing past ~10 feet (or can be somehow controlled for height).. I am affraid that the dwarf spruces would take too long to reach that height... For now my plan is to order the small 1-2 foot high named cultivars (and stay away from large standard varieties) for spring delivery either from Western Evergreen and/or Coenosium. My current idea plants are: picea omorika Gotteli, picea orientalis gracilis, picea abies hillside, chamaecyparis green pillar, crypteria yoshino. We bought 15 thuja plicata 4 ever (goldie) and trying to also mix in if possible. Any creative ideas how to cover that chain link and the road behind? I took several pictures but I can�t attach due to the size. Not sure if there are other ways to attach pictures�
Details:
The area is ~500 feet long, north side of the house, adjacent to small road and the forest (which has some wet/swampy areas very close). We don't have a standing water but this area is more wet than the rest of the garden. We are near Chicago near the lake so the hardiness zone is 6, the area gets sun 6+ hrs a day and is somewhat protected from the wind by the forest. Eventually, once we plant the border I will start planting mixed dwarf conifers and perennial grasses. If you have a mixed conifer border and could show me a picture that would also be very helpful� Besides conifers I am open to other unique plants as well... thank you in advance.

dorotamon

Comments (20)