SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovefornature

Mixing Perennials with Evergreens Need Help

lovefornature
15 years ago

Hello Everyone :) I am in Zone 5B (Illinois)

I have a large bed up against a dog-eared fence (only 4 ft. high) that is 16 feet long by 8 1/2 feet deep.

I put a 5 ft. trellis on the very left side of the garden (not up against the fence by facing towards the bed) and planted a John Clayton Honeysuckle on it (Yellow Flowering).

I love Bee Balm and hummingbirds and currently have Raspberry Wine (3) and Marshalls Delight (1).

I wanted a Jacobs Cline but was advised it would not look good in the bed because of color clashes. VERY Huge Bummer for me!!

I also have (1) Moonshine Yarrow, (6) Purple Magnus Coneflowers and (6) White Swan Confeflowers.

The only thing actually planted in the bed right now is the Honeysuckle.

I am having problems.......since the dog-eared fence (4 ft.) is shorter than the trells (5 ft) I need to find a few things that are taller for the back.

I also would love to put a few evergreens (something that has winter interest) in the bed (they would have to be small or dwarf), but cannot picture what it would be that would look good with Bee Balm and other flowers.

And of course, the bed is not complete because it is so very large. Any suggestions on evergreens and what perennials I can add to the bed would be truly appreciated :) Layout would help too.

Sorry this post is so very long. Thanks in advance :)

Comments (19)