SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Are potted trees better than caliper trees?

9 years ago

I finally had my poor Showy Mountain Ash removed. It turned out to have fire blight, hence its demise... sigh!

Anyway, now I am going to replace it with an Ohio Buckeye - I am so excited!

I went to the nursery tonight and saw some 50mm caliper Ohio Buckeyes - they were OK but nothing to write home about. Some of them had minor branch damage and then the leaves were kind of small, at least from what I had expected of Ohio Buckeyes. Then I saw this 15G potted one which was tall and had a nice and straight trunk, and good branching pattern too. The leaves looked very big, nice and healthy. It was a nice looking little tree!

Then I got talking with the nursery folks. They actually encouraged me to consider the potted one, because they felt that the potted one will have a better chance of survival in our climate, since the roots were never disrupted like the balled and burlap caliper trees were. They told me that the potted tree will take about 2 years to establish itself in its new home, whereas the caliper tree will take up to 5 years!!!

So, is this true? The caliper tree would have an instant impact on my yard but then the potted one does look nicer, even though it is quite a bit smaller. But it will take years to get to the size of the 50mm caliper one.

I would very much appreciate your advice here. Thank you!

Comments (18)