SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pcthompson

Advice on conifer selection.

pcthompson
12 years ago

Advice on conifer selection.

I have enclosed pictures of my home. I live in central Illinois. The house faces north by northeast. I would like to strategically plant conifers to block my view of my neighbors. Across the pond I want to block the view of the white siding on the garage, the view of the street next to it, and my neighbor�s landscaping down by the edge of the pond (see pics) I am considering staggering two Norwegian spruces. I have started a perennial border with plants from my old house. It is presently in rough shape, but it will receive substantial attention between now and the spring. The perennial border is 50ft long. I was going to plant one NS at the end of the border about 15 feet from property line and another one about 15 ft from the evergreen with the bird house in the center. The birdhouse is right on the property line.

Originally, the plan was to plant some kind of Colorado Blue Spruce at the end of the perennial border and a Dawn Redwood down by the pond about 15 feet from bird house. However, I was concerned about the redwood not screening the homes across the pond in the winter, and I was worried that the blue spruce would grow to slow and look out of proportion standing in the shadow of the redwood.

I would also like to block my neighbor�s garage. When I look out of my kitchen nook. We stare right at the garage door and window (See pic) There is about 13 feet from the corner of my house to the property line and about 15-18 ft from the corner of the house to the south end of the perennial border. I have been exploring 3 option. Option #1 is to plant a couple of Serbian Spruces. Option #2 is to plant several skyrocket Junipers, and option #3 is to plant sky pencil hollies.

I also want to plant a Dawn Redwood, but I do not know where to plant it. I have woods on the north and west. There is also a steep ravine to the west.

Finally, I would like to plant a conifer on the front, SE corner of my house. I need to soften that corner. Originally we were thinking a blue spruce to match the one that we originally proposed for the back, but I am concerned about slow growth and the lack of height.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I am especially interested in the pros and cons of the trees I selected, and I am hoping for new ideas.

Thanks.

Here is the link for pics of the house and lot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68309140@N02/sets/72157627827298346/

Comments (7)