SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsvand5

Need some opinions on my blueberry bed

jsvand5
14 years ago

Last weekend decided to build a raised bed for a few blueberries that I have been neglecting in pots for the last year (1 Sharp blue and 1 Misty). I also ordered a few online 2 Emerald, 1 Jewel, 1 Climax, 1 Premier) and picked up a couple Sunshine's from lowes. I know the bed will be too small for all of them long term (12' x 4' x 16"s deep) but I figured I could pack them in a little and remove a few when they stared getting too crowded. For the soil I used about 60% peat, 30% pine bark mulch, and about 10% old potting mix I had laying around. I only added the potting mix because I was a little short when filling the raised bed and I was too lazy to drive back to lowe's. Is there anything else I should do to the bed? Does my mix sound good? I topped it with about 4"s of pine bark for mulch. I was thinking I should not fertilize until the spring. The raised bed gets full sun from about 10am to 5 pm. Any tips are appreciated because this is my first attempt at seriously growing blueberries.

Comments (3)