SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

Only two weeks to go...

....and i might have gone around the bend by then! The Garden Tour, i mean. Why did i agree to do this??? Of course, i love to show off my gardens, but....

....the lilies are blooming now, there are bugs eating everything, my containers look awful, i haven't started some of the things i hoped to have finished by now, there's been virtually no rain for weeks, the weeds are thriving no matter how fast i pull them out, the annuals that are supposed to be fillers aren't filling, and then there's all the darn petunias!

Petunias - i need to replace them with Sharon's, the ones in her pics from a couple of years ago. I believe wave petunias are called waves because they're supposed to grow in undulating waves, sort of like in the ocean? Well, mine must think that because they're mine they should have a sense of humour or something and they're all standing up and waving hi instead of laying there cascading around their containers like they should be. Here are some of the little rascals:

{{gwi:760411}}

I spent hours on them one morning last week, trimming them and deadheading them and taking cuttings. They still don't look great:

{{gwi:760412}}

And i have three more containers to do. They all want to go to seed this year. Should i cut them back more severely, d'you think? But will they look nice in two weeks if i do?

As for the rest, i just don't know. There's nothing i can do about the lilies. I can keep weeding, and my mom is coming next week to help - so that's a positive. I've been spraying the bugs like crazy, but haven't gotten an upper hand on them - lots of beetles in the columbines and monarda, especially. Maybe i'll enlist the help of a little girl i know - she might like scraping those beetles into a jar of gasoline! Die, beetles, die! >:)

The things i wanted done... I need to finish adding a bit to one bed to even it out with some other things i did. I should put edging around a couple of things and mulch with woodchips. That deck that was supposed to get done this summer? Not even a hint. The front of the porch is an ugly mess, just sand and a wooden pallet under the door. :( Not much i can do about that now. Building the deck would involve moving two roses. Morden Sunrise (also pretty pitiful this year) would be easy enough because she's small, but Simon Fraser is BIG and would take a lot of digging. And anyway, they shouldn't be moved this time of year. I also wanted to put brick edging around one garden. Not done. And then there's the little pond kit that my daughter gave me for my birthday. My brother was supposed to help me with it, but he ended up not coming on his last days off.

So what am i doing sitting here moaning to you guys? LOL I should be out there working on all this, shouldn't i? I just needed to vent. Hopefully things will fall into place. I guess it'll be like Christmas - the tour will happen no matter if i'm ready or not.

Big sigh.

Comments (32)

• luv2gro
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I can really relate to how you're feeling, Marcia. I am the type of person to get overwhelmed by the amount of work I need to do to get something completed. I'm also the first one to put my hand up say that I will take on more.

My suggestions:

1) Breathe
    2) Make a list and tackle it, one project at a time.
    3) Start the list and complete each project to the finish, one project at a time.
    4) Take the phone off the hook
    5) Stay away from the computer. You can let all of us know how it all turns out in two weeks. We'll miss you badly but we will all understand. LOL
    6) Let me know if you need some of my "concentration" pills. I'm ADHD and they really help me to "focus". LOL
    7) Now is not the time to worry about oiling your loppers or something else that can be done later. Besides, you'd have to find the oil before you could do that and then you'd be looking for the steel wool and then - well, what the heck, let's clean the garage. At least, that's what happens to me. Stay on track.

It'll all work out fine, I'm sure of it.

Hugs
    Shauna

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Hey Marcia, relax my friend, just breath. Its all going to work out. I have to point out that others won't see what you see when you look at your own garden. For example...I have been complaining that there are bare spots and not much colour in my gardens........yesterday I took a walk up the street and saw what others are seeing when they look into my yard........The view is totally different and there is colour everywhere. I think we as the gardeners, are just more picky, and see the down side of things that we want to be perfect.

Just a tip for your waves......and you probably already know this.....fertilize twice a week and they will try to take over your entire yard.....I am going to start a new thread on wave petunias...

BTW any pics I have seen from your garden always have looked very nice!

Now you still have a whole two weeks.....lots of time. ;-)

Sierra

• Related Discussions

Hartwood Garden Social -- Two Weeks To Go!

Q

Comments (5)
    A computer guy with a tractor -- sounds like a truly winning combination! I'm married to an engineer who is good at home repairs and is a great cook. I don't know how I got to be so lucky. Seriously I wish you a wonderful time at your garden social, not only your guests, but you yourself as well. It sounds lovely. If I knew anyone who lived in Virginia I would send them your way. Rosefolly
    ...See More

Week 7: Let's Go! Let's Go! L-E-T-'S_G-O!

Q

Comments (44)
    First, Shicksal, great news. You're coming along really fast. Today is an odd day. At 6:30 this morning I went to Wal-Mart to put money on my debit card and buy a little hotdog roller for this job. My friend who is an electrician is here. I've got my two pendants over the peninsula hung, but learned somehow, the switch to them isn't powered, but the outlets next to them is. He's replaced two dimmers with regular switches. One of the benefits of doing this alone is the onus being off changing my mind. These dimmers just kinda made me crazy, so regular switches they're becoming. I gotta tell you. I'm a walking posterboard for Lutron. Now 15 dimmers, 12 motion sensors, and other fun stuff. Love 'em. He's also going to put in some outlets. Sad. I'll have to find other places to hang my laundry. He and another friend put a kitchen cabinet on the wall for me. I can hang 'em, but lifting these two onto cleats is way beyond my balance. Remember, I have to stand on the counter, press my head against the ceiling and screw things in. Lifting over a cleat and not falling off the counter backwards is something I don't want to attempt. But, getting this on the wall frees up a bunch of space. I can load it full of crap, then make doors. While he's working, I've put 4 handles on cabinets in my MBR. Got about 30 to go. I primed the two shelves for the cleat cabinets. They're an odd shape, W3624s. Custom, of course, from H4H and S.O.L.I.D. 3/4" maple. Minus shelves, so I cut those out of 3/4" MDF and will probably paint them a coral BM color I love. I've remudded the chewed up MBR wall. I've sanded and mudded yet again. I've gotten rid of 4 medium sized boxes of lighting materials, and a box of thrift store drawers I bought for their hardware and Blum release switches still attached. $2.00 a drawer box. Yeah man! I emptied the DW. Like to load it, hate to unload it. This was probably the greatest accomplishment of the day. Did a load of laundry/uniforms and got them into the dryer. Changed the cat litter. They're all happy with me. Arranged the MBR furniture and will bring the cabinets still in the kitchen back, since to paint I took a bunch down. I'm making room all over the place. I'll tell you. Lethargy, thy name is Christine. I hate this heat and incessant sun. This is more than I've accomplished all darned week, and it's only to kill time while someone else is working! Keep up the great work, all! You encourage me. Greenhaven, have a FUN time! Happy 4th, all!
    ...See More

Two more weeks to go...

Q

Comments (2)
    It's Quality Lumber and Building Wholesalers, NOT Supply. Sorry.
    ...See More

Only two weeks to go........

Q

Comments (10)
    Uh - huh?? March 21 was Dad's birthday ... but he's been gone for 24.5 years (there were 28 years between us). There was a lot of bare ground round here, yesterday ... and a goodly number of pools of water in the fields. This morning - it's all white again. And on Friday, as I was bound about 12 mi. to prepare income tax returns at the church ... when I started out, the rain was freezing on the windshield - everyone was driving slowly and taking corners carefully. o j
    ...See More
  • savona
    17 years ago

Sounds fun and scary at the same time..lol..make a list of what needs to be done and a time line..it never fails that at the last minute you will be running off your feet for the last minute tweeks to your garden.
    What works for me is fertilizing the wave petunias every day..I use Wal-marts "plantland" brand of fertilizer 15-30-15 and add a 1/3 -1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water everyday unless it is really hot and I water twice a day which I dont fertilize the second time.
    I just took these pictures this morning
    {{gwi:760413}}
    {{gwi:724563}}
    BTW..did the danish flag poppy seed germinate for you..I tossed some of the DF seeds into one area late last fall and didnt have any poppies come up there this spring for some reason..I hope your garden tour goes great and dont sweat the stuff you cant change..you are probasbly being too hard on yourself :-)..savona (lol..just checked the preview and have included some wooden stakes in the picture)

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Don't worry Marcia, it will be beautiful and people will love it. It's true that we see different things in our gardens than visitors see.

Savona, great tunies!

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

Marcia, we see what others don't in our own gardens. I have so many compliments on my frontyard yet all I see is a jumble of flowers, weeds and bare spots of no colour. Get done the things that are really important to you and don't worry about the rest. They'll never know if you didn't get a project done or not. To them your place will look fabulous.

Syreeta

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Marcia, Im the same way as you when it comes to touring the garden. As you know I canÂt enter the Community in Blooms tour this year because of course it's on the weekend that I have to work. But I did have quite a few quest come by last Saturday evening for a private tour. Here everyone was oooohing and ahhhing how beautiful this and that was and here I was pointing out the negative, or picking weeds in front of them as we went by each bed. LOL,

ItÂs crazy how we only see the negative and not the positive in our own gardens, yet when I tour others gardens I only see the beauty and all the love that the gardener has put into his or her garden.

Like everyone else says, breath, relax and enjoy it too. Hey if you need to have a couple of glasses of Vodka before the tour, go for it. ;)

Keep us informed, youÂll be fine!

Hugs,
    Sharon

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Aw, you guys - you bring tears to my eyes!

I breathed this morning - procrastinated until almost noon before i went outside. But i did get three loads of laundry done and hung on the line! LOL

Once i got outside and got going, i tried to concentrate on the positive things that are happening in the gardens. Like the hollyhock that has to be ten feet high with huge red flowers, the large cluster of rudbeckia that is blooming now, the morning glories that are blooming so incredibly early, the cedar planter with the flowering semp, and the Simon Fraser rose that just keeps on blooming. The lilies may almost be done in two weeks but the daylilies should still be going strong. And people can always admire the vegetable garden! :)

Shauna, you oil your loppers? LOL I know how that goes. A lot of my trouble comes from having to retrace my steps in order to remember what i was going to do, and searching around the yard to find where i left my shovel or my trowel last. I couldn't possibly stay away from the computer - you all are my lifeline!

To everyone who mentioned fertilizing - i had slow-release pellets in the petunia containers but have started using a liquid fertilizer when watering (some Bloom Expert stuff, 5-30-5). I'll do it twice a week now. I've also started clipping back the petunias the way Sharon mentioned, not every branch but just a few at a time.

Savona, i love your baskets! Could i borrow them for the tour? :D Yes, the Danish Flag poppy germinated, and if it ever blooms i'll remember where it was planted!

I do realize that i'm pretty critical of my own yard, and that it's typical of us all. Earlier this spring when the people came for the lasagne bed demo, i was doing the same thing as you, grabbing weeds out as people looked around. One woman laughed at me - "How dare that weed grow there!" In other words, don't be so hyper about it.

Things will fall into place and i just have to accept that it won't be as perfect as i would like it to be.

Thank you all for listening and replying - you're the best!!

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

Yup, gotta keep the loppers oiled - even if I don't have a hedge to trim. LOL
    But you never know when those loppers will come in handy for shearing . . . the petunias . . . yeah, that's what I could use. Would never do if they were rusty. Darn, no machine oil? Well, I guess I have to go to the pantry and get the veggie oil.

See how my mind works? LOL

Shauna

• maggiemuffin360
    17 years ago

Marcia, let me second what everyone else has said. For sure, everyone is going to look at all your wonderful plants like the hollyhocks, the rudbeckia, etc. etc. etc. Isn't it true that when you start to list them, the great features by far outnumber what you didn't have time to do. And you're the only one who is going to know that there were things you meant to do!
    Have fun, Marcia. I know that everyone who comes to see your garden will. Wish I was one of them!
    Margaret

Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL Shauna! Vegetable oil, eh? I'd have to keep the loppers in the house then because around here the vegetable oil would attrack bears! Now wouldn't that be a Garden Tour treat? :>

Thanks, Margaret - it did me good to look at the brighter side of things. Hey, it would be great if you could come for the tour - i'd send my mother home with you! LOL Actually, i remember Gale and Kelly saying that they should come, but i haven't heard from them all summer. Maybe they'll surprise me! Eep!

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

I agree with everyone here -- they will only see the gorgeous bloomers and not focus on anything else. Kinda like an artist with a painting. The artist sees all the mistakes but the viewers only see the gorgeous painting.

Everything will be just fine! I'm sure of it.

Ang

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

:0 You might not want to leave your bloomers outside though the day of the tour, whether they are gorgeous or not. :0

Sierra...hee hee

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

And Marcia, make sure your jugs are hidden. And for heaven's sakes, hide the housecoat! ; D

Shauna

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Oh noooooo Shauna......she is going to WEAR the housecoat! haha

Sierra

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

Ahhhhh, this is a "special" occasion. I think she needs to bring out the peignoir set with the maribu trim and the matching mule slippers. Which colour would be best? Of course, the hair rollers and hair net would have to match!

Shauna

• debbiecz3
    17 years ago

For someone who is involved with organizing a garden tour I want to say to you relax! People who go on tours are looking for inspiration and beauty; they are looking for "real world gardening"(weeds, floppy plants and some failures) so they can be inspired to try and not have to be a perfect gardener with a perfect garden. What would be the joy and fun in that? I'm sure your garden will look great! Make sure you have a "comment book" available for all the compliments you're going to get! And I second the notion of a stiff drink the day of; you deserve it. By the way, in regards to your wave petunias mounding instead of trailing; I think its the tidal waves that are bred to be like that. They will mound more when they are spaced closer together especially but will eventually trail so I don't think I would cut yours back.

• maggiemuffin360
    17 years ago

Marcia, sounds to me like that housecoat should have a 'shrine' built to it in your garden...lol! So many laughs from it that I think it should be immortalized!
    Margaret

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Hmmmm I am thinking the bright orange with dark green poka dots set or maybe the neon pink with yellow happy face poka dots. Waddya think? Do hair rollers and nets come in those colours?

Sierra (giggle)

Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay you guys - i've heard of "thread drift" but this is definitely "thread deterioration"! LOL I should make a scarecrow out of that darn housecoat! (One more project to do now!)

Shauna, thankfully i don't own a pegnoir set - some pretty ratty nightgowns but no pegnoir. (Wouldn't want to scare dh, eh?!)

Sierra, you're turning me into a pumpkin? LOL I am round...

Debbie, you're right - i've been on tours and never really thought anything negative about any of the gardens i've seen. At one garden, someone muttered "There's not a weed in sight!" I answered, "That's because they're all in my garden!"

Okay, i'm going to relax from now on. Really. (uh huh)

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

What are friends for, Marcia? We're just trying to help you decide what to wear for the "big day". ;^D LOL

Shauna

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

A pumpkin LOL Welllllllll I just wanted you to blend in...giggle. But then again if you chose the neon pink and bright yellow happy faces...you would stand out....you see, I was being very thoughtful...giggle...since I wasn't sure if you wanted to blend or stand out.

Yep thats what friends are for......always so helpful.

Sierra giggle giggle.

Original Author
    17 years ago

You're too kind... :D

You know, being the sweet, innocent, conservative-type person that i am (small c conservative, please), i don't own anything outrageous. In fact, years ago, my daughter raided my 70s clothes trunk at Halloween and dressed up like a nerd. I was so insulted! LOL

Getting totally off-topic - well, actually it was at a Hort. meeting - this woman came in wearing a long flowy skirt and a tube top. Trouble is, she's in her 60s or 70s and is huge, bigger than me! The wrinkly flab was so gross! I couldn't believe it! You guys don't want me to dress like that! :O

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Talking about weeds...I had someone here the other day and we went on an impromptu garden/yard tour of my yard. She commented that she felt right at home. I asked her why. She said it was because there were weeds in my flowerbed/garden. I was taken back. She said that she felt that if there were no weeds in the flowerbeds when she went on tours that that was something too high for her to attain and therefore she always felt out of place. I told her that then, she could feel right at home if she wanted to here in my yard.

So, Marcia, if there is an area that you just don't get to weed, put a sign in the area that says,'Garden of weedin' and don't feel bad about not getting around to weeding it.

Hope the tours go fine and you have a wonderful day.

BTW I was on holidays last week in the Kenora area, on a little island in the Lake of the Woods. About 1 hour from you I believe.

Brenda

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

Marcia, I hope you're starting to relax about the tour. I agree with the general drift of the posts, here. Maybe not about the negligee!!

My niece is a new gardener, and she loves having me visit (we share lots of plants and ideas.) On my last visit, she started apologizing about this and that...things I hadn't even noticed until she pointed them out to me. When I'm on a garden tour (including an informal one at my niece's), I'm looking for the beauty, and all the things that are right with the garden.

If anyone views your garden differently, they've got issues that don't have anything to do with your yard. :-)

Relax, and enjoy. The REAL gardeners will be the ones telling you how wonderful your garden is (because to them it will be), and how appreciative they are about being allowed to see it (and they'll be sincere about this, too.)

Doris

Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm way more relaxed about it now. It's so hot and dry here and i can't do anything about that, so i'm just shrugging my shoulders and carrying on. I know some things won't get done, but some things have gotten done now, and so be it.

Though,,,, i did go to someone's house this afternoon to pick something up, and her yard was beautiful, what i saw of it anyway. I thought maybe she could be on the tour this year and i'd wait for next! :D

Brenda - only an hour away! Awwww, too bad. Another time. Lake of the Woods is beautiful, isn't it? My brother and i were talking about it this evening as we sat on the beach at Eagle Lake - comparing lakes. Eagle is pretty quiet next to Lake of the Woods. Did you go on the cruise boat?

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

No, we opted not go on the cruise boat, although we did see it cause it went right past my SIL's family's island that we were staying on. My DH and BIL fished almost all day each day we were there and so they did not want to go on another boat. I spent one day crayfish fishing and caught enough to serve all of us crayfish for nighttime snack last Monday. They are so good, fried with butter and garlic and served on crackers.

But, we did go into Kenora on Tues afternoon last week and wandered through 4 touristy shops, including the Blue Heron. Wow, the stuff they have in there. I bought nothing though. Just looked.

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Last summer my garden was on a tour, and I remember how people seemed to make a bee line for whatever's in bloom at the time. So I'm thinking, just pull out the few weeds in close proximity to what's blooming and people will think that your yard is weed free.;^) I too almost ran myself ragged trying to weed and finish up projects, and did manage to get a couple done. The tour was a good thing, because it gave me the kick in the rear to get a lot done, and that was really needed!lol
    So yes, have a drink before hand and have a blast meeting a whole bunch of gardeners. I'm sure it'll be a wonderful day for all of you!

Laurie

Original Author
    17 years ago

Brenda, we've cooked crayfish before too - just boil them like lobster. Yum! :) You said your SIL lives on an island - she wouldn't be Goldie Hawn, eh? LOL

My brother and i worked on the pond this weekend. It's in but not quite filled, and the waterfall isn't set up yet. For now, i'll just put some container plants around it, and some minnows, of course, to entertain the cat!

The main thing this week will be watering, and the vegetable garden needs to be weeded. My mother is here to help, and i'm going to recruit my son's gf's daughter (8 yrs old) who likes to do stuff like that. Last time she helped, she took radishes home as "payment" but i have a feeling she'll want carrots this time! And tomorrow is supposed to be a bit cooler, which will be really welcome. Then it's back to heat, and maybe some rain on Friday. The latest forecast for Sunday is cloudy and 26° - just nice!

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Marcia, glad to hear youre calm about the whole thing, no one should be under any stress when it comes to gardening.

Hopefully your fasciated lily is still blooming by next weekend. I'm sure you'll have many gardeners fascinated about that one!

Take lots of photos for us ;)

Sharon

Original Author
    17 years ago

Those lilies are pretty much done, but i have some decent pictures that i'll place where the lilies were. My red, yellow and red-and-yellow lilies will still be blooming on Sunday - thank goodness! Of the daylilies, only Silent Sentry is blooming so far, but some of the others may open by then. Centrefold is just starting to open now, as are some of the Orienpets (i thought the fasciated ones were Orienpets, but they weren't), and there are a couple more that are going to open this week. Lots of yarrow is blooming, and some veronica spicata, as well as hollyhocks, delphiniums (may be touch-and-go), filipendula and a few campanula. There are lots of cosmos and poppies too, nicotiana, impatiens and morning glories. And i got started on the weed whacking this morning - it's too hot again, so i'm here inside until it cools down.

Have to laugh - i've been keeping track of the WeatherNetwork's predictions for Sunday ever since it came on to the two-week trend. Here are the predictions for each day:
    Sunday July 9th - cloudy, 28°
    Monday July 10th - partly cloudy, 29°
    Tuesday July 11th - rain, 33°
    Wednesday July 12th - cloudy, 23°
    Thursday July 13th - no data
    Friday July 14th - mix of sun and cloud, 21°
    Saturday July 15th - mostly sunny, 25°
    Sunday July 16th - cloudy, 26°
    Monday July 17th - sun and cloud, 29°
    Tuesday July 18th - a few showers, 29°

Anal? No - it gives me a good laugh! LOL I love weather predictions!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Friday July 14th - mix of sun and cloud, 21°

I think this one would be perfect weather for touring gardens. None of that "few showers" stuff is needed between the hours the tour is on. Afterwards would be ok though! Mind you, I've toured gardens in the rain too, and it was fun. Good luck!

Original Author
    17 years ago

Laurie, if it got down to 21°, people might have to wear sweaters! LOL It sure would feel cool after all this heat!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville