SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

In garden design lay out keep it simple

dcsteg
16 years ago

If some of you think this is to elementary feel free to move on. Others probably have the need to know. I did at one time.

My latest plan is to incorporate 2 islands around 7 already planted conifers. My whole theme is free flowing with no square corners or formal look.

I always begin with a plan drawn to scale on paper. Nothing fancy, just a general out line of what you want.

Free flow drawings are always hard to lay out because you usually have no square corners to measure off. In my case I used the center points of the already planted conifers for reference points, I then drove a stake at the boundary line. To fine tune the design I used a garden hose to lay the design out on the ground based on where the stakes are. After you are satisfied that you have it right follow the hose with a sod cutter to cut in the permanent boundary. Get a good nights sleep before you begin to remove existing sod remnants. That's always the hard part.

Enclosed are a few photos. Island A is what you are looking at. B comes next. Yes I know the clothes line is still there. I'm still working on that. How do you make a clothes line look like a conifer?

Dave

{{gwi:829085}}

{{gwi:829087}}

{{gwi:829089}}

Comments (32)