SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

How to lay out an "S-curve" garden path?

caroline94535
9 years ago

Hello! I'm a lurker in a quandary on how to design a curved path through my front yard "cottage garden."

The gardening area is new; for this first season I've planted a few perennials, veggies, and a lot of annuals.

The garden is a large oval, bi-sected into two "half moon" shapes with a 6-ft. wide path between them. Overall ilt's about 30'x22'. For now the path is grass, but I have plans to add low growing herbs.

The garden beds are outlined with very large granite rocks. Once I've determined the curve of the path the inner border will be lined with more rocks.

This photo was taken in early spring. I've added more plants and it's filling in nicely.

The path is 22 feet long. The upper garden is 13 feet deep at the widest point; the lower one is 11 feet deep.

I have a long rope. I thought I could lay is out to form the curve, but what shape would look best for this path? Where should the curve be?

The southeast end of the path is near a Purple Martin colony's pole; the northwest end faces a tree and will have a clematis-covered arbor.

Any suggestions or ideas would be so welcomed!

Comments (10)

Sponsored