SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weeper_11

Bugs and more bugs in the roses...

weeper_11
10 years ago

I had a spider mite infestation in my Emily Carr and Morden Blush roses last year..I noticed it too late, and I couldn't get rid of it before winter. This spring I noticed they had over wintered, so I cut the roses fairly short and blasted them with water for 4-5 days in a row. That seemed to do the trick..no spider mites since then.

Now I notice that those same 3 roses(planted together) have some gross creamy colored little caterpillar that is leaf rolling near the buds in particular and putting holes in the leaves as well. There also seems to be some sort of black specks/dirt-like matter left wherever the worms go...not sure if that is eggs or poop, or what. So I went out and trimmed out all the affected leaves and put them all in a tightly tied plastic bag to be burned.

THEN I decided I had better check my other roses. My Prairie Peace, which is always problem free, has quite a few of what I believe are rose weevils - a yucky dark red beetle that is hanging out on the buds drilling holes. So I'll have to go back out and hand pick/bag those as well, as well as the damaged buds. SIIIIIIGGGGHHHH...

I have lots of spiders and lady bugs, but apparently I have lots of other stuff too! Yuck.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022