SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

Anectdotal organic ways to get rid of fire ants

annafl
16 years ago

Well, I thought hard about whether to post this cuz some will think it is rather gross. However, I know many are plagued with fire ants and my DH and I have discovered a way to discourage them. It is organic and FREE!!!

First let me say that our yard has few fire ants. We have lots of native ants and carpenter ants in some areas, but few fire ants. We think it is because we mulch heavily with organic materials, and much of our yard is mulched. Apparently, fire ants don't care for mulched areas that much (or so we find). In the edges of our yard, where the mulch gets thin at times is where we sometimes get invaded from the neighbors' yards. Usually, when we see a mound, all we do is carry mulch over to the mound and cover it thickly with mulch. They don't like this, and soon move over to the neighbors' yards or another sparse patch of dirt.

Well, lately, we have had a few mounds here and there around the border of our property. Having noted this while working out in the yard and filthy from top to bottom, my DH decided to pee on the mounds since I wouldn't let him go inside so dirty to go to the bathroom. I've got to say, that I frequently ask him to pee in the compost pile or in select places to speed the composting process. AFter all, it is high in nitrogen, and in a dilute fashion, can promote growth(however, can burn if you pee on plants directly).

At first we noted that the mounds he peed on had moved and left the yard. When we saw other mounds, I had him do it again. Again, they left. Well, encouraged, we tried it on another mound on another edge of the property. Within 24-48 hours they were gone.

Now, I've got to say this is anectdotal. Maybe it won't work for you. Maybe you think this is too gross to try. All I know is that it has worked for us 4 times now. It is free, sterile, and high in nitrogen. Also readily available. The other thing that has worked for us is to cover the mounds with a thick layer of mulch. Be advised that I wouldn't recommend putting full strength pee on grass or directly on any plant. Make sure it is isolated from a plant.

I don't know if it would work if the mounds are all over the yard. For us, they were on the edges of the property where it was easy to 'treat' without affecting plants. They obviously don't like to be peed on (would you?) and are happy to move on. Just wanted to give you all another weapon in your arsenal for treating fire ants. Try it, you may find it works for you too!

Comments (6)