SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msrohud

Road Trip

msrohud
10 years ago

Hi from a little farther north in the Hilton Head area. As any good gardener, I am always stretching the boundaries of my zone - which is biting me in the butt this winter!
I am really revved up as I am currently sitting in Hawaii and visited a nursery yesterday. They had some large beautiful bromeliads but shipping was way too expensive of course. I was able to get some nice large fresh cuttings from their plumerias.

I have been searching your forum for a while to plan a 3 day buying trip this spring and have come up with great suggestions such as the Apopka area. The things I like (of course) are the unusual. I grow succulents (under lights primarily), am dabbling in plumeria, love bromeliads, tropical hibiscus and just unusual plants in general for planting in our lanai.

Given a 3 day time table, where would you concentrate your time/energy? It takes only 2 1/2 hours to Jacksonville and 4 1/2 to Orlando. I know I read that some of your ACE hardware stores are good places too. Of course, every Lowes & HD will get a quick look. (Yes, even in Hawaii I had to stop and look at least at the HD plants)

Also, I know we start getting into the swing of things by March up here so if you had to choose a time for the trip, when would you go?

Thanks so much for your time in helping me plan this trip.

Melissa

Comments (10)